Pre-construction Activities at 74th St
Zoning and contract approvals for Memorial Sloan-Kettering's plans to build an outpatient cancer care facility and CUNY/Hunter College's plans to build a Science and Health Professions Building have been received by all parties. Work is under way at the Department of Buildings to secure the necessary permits for the new buildings.
Permits for certain pre-construction activities have been received and that work is scheduled to begin on Monday, January 13, 2014. With the one exception noted below, all of the site work outlined below is planned to occur Monday–Friday, 7:00 AM–3:30 PM. All necessary permits for preliminary site work that will take place prior to the conveyance of the property to MSK and CUNY have been received.
Here is what is on the schedule for the next several months:
January 13–January 31, 2014
- In response to a requirement of the Department of Buildings, a new fence will be erected around the site.
- Some weekend work will be necessary to install fencing along the FDR Drive perimeter of the site. This will require a temporary shutdown of an FDR lane and the adjacent off-ramp, and will occur from just after midnight until 11:00 AM on Sunday, January 19, or Sunday, January 26.
- Abatement of hazardous materials associated with the former Department of Sanitation New York City (DSNY) garage will begin in accordance with NYC Department of Environmental Protection and NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC) permits received. The site has been classified by NYSDEC as an active spill site since May 2000. Due to the extent and nature of the contamination, CUNY and MSK are beginning this work prior to closing and at their own expense to clean up the site as quickly as possible.
- Removal of the aboveground debris and remaining foundations of the former DSNY garage facility will occur in conjunction with the environmental remediation.
- Demolition of the aboveground structures will be performed by mechanical means — excavators equipped with pneumatic hammers to break the existing concrete and rock. All noise/decibel levels will be within the limits of the NYC Noise Control Code, and every effort will be made to minimize the level of noise at the site.
Community members can contact MSK's Construction Information Line at 212-639-4444 to ask questions or to voice any concerns.