Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Office of AccessABILITY Parents & Guardians

Parents & Guardians

The Office of AccessABILITY (OA) at Hunter College is pleased to have the privilege of working with your son or daughter for the coming academic year. We understand how the transition from high school or a community college to a four year campus may be a complicated process for both students and parents alike. Therefore, we have assembled a list of frequently asked questions that we think will help you during this transition.

In addition to below information, we recommend that you view the following link regarding the transition from High School to College to get further familiar with the rules and regulations that governs both entities:Transitional Services

Below, please find links, forms, guidelines and list of frequently asked questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does CUNY accept an IEP diploma?
    No, CUNY only accepts a GED & or a High School Diploma for admission purposes.
  2. Are students eligible for special admission to Hunter College because of their documented disability?
    No. The application for admission does not include any information regarding a student's disability or medical condition. Therefore, admission to Hunter College (or any other CUNY campus) is based upon a student's high school average, courses taken, SAT/ACT scores, college application, essay writing, and admission tests. For more information you may visit the admission's office website at
  3. Is there special Financial Aid available to students with disabilities through the Office of AccessABILITY (OA)?
    The OA does not offer financial assistance to its registered students. The Financial Aid Office, however, offers assistance with TAP, PELL, Loans, etc, and is available to all students that may qualify for financial assistance.Students with a documented disability who are registered with OA may also qualify for Tuition Assistant Award for Part Time students (TAP). National organizations also offer scholarships due to students' adequate academic standings and the OA among other related offices in the college notifies students of these opportunities.
  4. Do you have a tutoring program for students with disabilities?
    The OA refers students in need of tutoring to the Reading and Writing Center, Chanin Language Center, Math Dolcini Center, or SEEK office.
  5. Do you provide training in Assistive technology?
    Yes. The specialist at the Access and Technology Center provides group and one-on-one training by appointment to OA registered students. The Access and Technology Center offers a wide array of specialized software for our students. Including, Jaws, Inspiration, Zoom-Text amongst others. For more information please see our link: Access & Technology Center
  6. Is public transportation part of the accommodations?
    No. The OA does not offer public transportation. However, at times funds may be available to assist students with cost of transportation based on disability. For additional information please see our website: Office of AccessABILITY
  7. Does Hunter College provide my son/daughter with Financial Assistance for purchasing software/hardware equipment that is needed for his/her study?
    No. However, students are strongly encouraged to register/meet with a VESID (Vocational Educational Services for Individual with Disabilities) and/or CBVH (Commissions for the Blind and Visually Handicapped) counselor to see if they may qualify for financial Assistance to purchase any necessary equipment.
  8. Can parents request accommodations on behalf of their child?
    No. All requests for accommodations must come directly from the student and supported by medical documentation. Parents may be present upon student's consent during the intake appointment.
  9. Is housing provided to students with disabilities at Hunter College?
    There are limited number of rooms that are accessible for students with documented disabilities. All student applicants must follow Residence Hall procedures to request housing. Based on the students' documentation and approval of their application, OA may advocate on students' behalf to secure a room. Hunter's Residence Hall located on East 25th street and 1st Avenue. For more information regarding how to apply for a room, please visit the following link: Living@Hunter
  10. Does OA conduct psycho-educational assessment?
    No. Neither the Americans with Disabilities Act nor Section 504 make it incumbent upon institutions of higher learning to evaluate or assess students with disabilities for suspected disabilities. The OA can direct the student to appropriate qualified professionals and agencies of choice within the five boroughs. The following is a link to some of these agencies: Evaluation Agencies
  11. In high school tea