The term visual disability includes conditions ranging from low vision, to legal blindness, to the absence of any sight at all—total blindness. The support at Hunter College addresses possible students' needs as they may impact their academic careers.
Some of the accommodations utilized by students with visual impairments include:
– Braille embossers
– Closed circuit television system (CCTV)
– Color acetate sheets
– Dragon™ Naturally Speaking Professional
– Hand/stand magnifier
– Image converter into tactile format (Picture In A Flash-PIAF)
– Large print
– Photo copier enlargement
– Screen magnification software (Zoomtext)
– Talking calculators
– Voice output to computers (JAWS™, Kurzweil™ 1000 & 3000)
- Counseling and Advisement
- Note Taking Services
- Priority Registration
- Program Planning
- Readers and Scribes
To arrange for a demonstration or training in the use of any of the center's special equipment, contact the Access and Technology Center at (212) 772-5478.
PLEASE NOTE: Not all students will need all of the above services. Specific accommodations are based on the diagnostic information provided by each student and consultation with the Intake Counselor.