You are here: Home Admissions Admissions Information Transfers


We are thrilled you are interested in transferring to Hunter College. We know we can provide you the opportunities you are looking for as you take this next crucial step in your education. We will be proud to welcome you to our community and become a Hunter Hawk!

Before you dive in, let's make sure you are in the right place. At Hunter, we consider you a transfer student if you:

  • Previously attended any college or university
  • Already completed a Bachelor's degree and are seeking an additional undergraduate degree
  • Currently a non-degree student at Hunter (or anywhere else) and would like to enroll as a matriculated student.

If you have ever attended Hunter College before as a matriculated student, you can skip this process and simply apply for readmission.

Credit Transfer
Scholarships/Financial Aid
How To Apply

Credit Transfer

As a transfer student, one of your primary concerns will be how your credits will transfer once you enroll here at Hunter. We will conduct an official credit evaluation for all admitted students once you have made the commitment to attend. However, we want you to be able to get an idea as early as possible.

Undergraduate Transfer Credit Policy 

In general, credits earned by taking college-level courses from other regionally accredited colleges and universities will transfer, provided that the courses are similar in scope and content to those offered for credit at Hunter College.

  • There is a 70 credit maximum number of credits that may be transferred from Associate Degree granting institutions.
  • There is a 90 credit maximum on the number of credits that may be transferred from accredited Bachelor degree-granting institutions.
  • In addition to this students must satisfy these requirements for graduation:
     - Complete at least 30 credits in residence at Hunter
     - Complete one-half the credits in their major and half in their minor or half the credits in an interdisciplinary program
  • The credit amount for each course remains the same when transferred. (Exception: Credits coming from a school using the quarter-hour will be converted to the semester hour using a .66 multiplication factor.).
  • Grades do not transfer; the student’s grade point average at Hunter is calculated solely on the basis of work taken at Hunter College.
  • Non-Transferable Courses:
     - ESL/Remedial/Developmental courses
     - Freshmen orientation/experience courses
     - Military training
     - Firemen/police studies
     - EMT training
     - Secretarial/office technology courses
     - Hospitality management
     - Pharmacological
     - Non-CUNY nursing courses (CUNY nursing courses are transferable for transfer students from CUNY community colleges who have earned an AA or AS degree and have also been accepted in the Nursing Program)
     - Medical professional training
     - Non-Transferable CUNY courses

Applicants are required to report and provide transcripts for all previous college coursework including coursework that was in progress at the time of application. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action and the denial of transfer credit.

Students may use the resources below to find course equivalencies at Hunter.

CUNY students, please visit:

Non-CUNY students, please visit:

Transfer Students from CUNY Community Colleges

Students with an AA, AS or AAS degree from a CUNY college should be awarded 60 transfer credits. Students with an AA or AS degree from a CUNY community college will be deemed to have completed CUNY Pathways Common Core requirements. Credits will be granted for courses with a grade “D” or better. There is a 70 credit maximum on the number of credits that may be transferred. 

Transfer Students from SUNY Community Colleges

Effective fall 2018 and in accordance with the University Provost Memorandum, SUNY transfer students who have completed a bachelor’s, AA or AS degree or the entire 30-credit General Education Requirements (GER) from SUNY will be deemed to have completed CUNY Pathways Common Core requirement. SUNY transfer students who completed a portion of the 30-credit GER requirement will have the completed GER credits applied to the Pathways areas as appropriate.  Credits will be granted for courses with a grade “C” or better. There is a 70 credit maximum on the number of credits that may be transferred. 

Articulation Agreements and Dual Admissions Programs

To view our articulation agreements and dual admissions programs, please visit:

Scholarships/Financial Aid

One of the most important aspects of pursuing your Bachelor's degree is figuring out the best way to finance it. As a transfer student, we want to make sure you are aware of all the different opportunities you have available to help you fund the next step of your education. Did you know that each year Hunter College awards over 3.4 million dollars in scholarships? Some of these funds are even reserved strictly for transfer students.

Transfer Scholarships - Different scholarships are awarded each year to incoming students who have performed exceptionally well at their previous institutions. This scholarships range in amounts and provide various programming opportunities throughout students' career at Hunter College. Learn more about transfer scholarships.

Financial Aid - There are many options in financing your education at Hunter College we encourage all transfer students to apply for financial aid so we can consider you for both merit and need-based assistance. We recommend that your file your FAFSA and TAP (New York State only) applications by December 1st of every year.

File FAFSA at:

Learn more about Financial Aid at Hunter College: Hunter College - Financial Aid

How To Apply

The Hunter College transfer admissions application can be filed online through either the City University of New York (CUNY) application or the Common Application.

Before you get started, we recommend that you review the resources below:

Transfer Supporting Documents Checklist

  • Completed application and application fee
  • *All College, University and/or Proprietary School Transcript
  • High School Transcript
  • Standardized Test Scores (SAT/ACT)
  • Supplemental Application for Selective Programs (if applicable)

* Please submit transcripts for all the schools you have attended, including institutions outside of the US. An official transcript must be supplied for every college, university or proprietary school you attended. Applicants do not have the discretion of omitting any part of their educational history.. Omission of any postsecondary institution you have attended may result in a five-year bar from CUNY.

Hunter College is temporarily accepting unofficial college transcripts for transfer students admissions review and credit evaluation. Please submit your documets using the link below. You will be required to submit official documents before enrolling. Please note that if you already submitted your documents, you do not need to resubmit them.

Submit your unofficial documents

Additional Items for Applicants Educated Outside of the U.S.

  • Secondary School Transcript/ Statement of Marks
  • Postsecondary School/University Record
  • English Translations of Foreign Records
  • TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Score

If you are applying to one of the following programs, you will have to submit additional supporting documents along with your application and meet certain pre requisites.

Ready To Apply?

Visit our Apply Webpage

Visit Campus

We welcome you to our campus for a Transfer Information Session and/or Campus Visit. View our Campus Tours page to learn more.

If you have already received an admissions decision and would like to be reconsidered for admission please click here.

Document Actions
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065