You are here: Home Admissions Admissions Information Non-Degree


student with a counselor in the library


Are you looking to take a class or two at Hunter but not enroll full-time in a degree program? Non-degree courses are a great way for you to earn college credit. Each semester, hundreds of non-degree students take advantage of the wonderful coursework offered at Hunter College for a variety of reasons.

Who is eligible?

  • Anyone who has completed high school or the equivalency exam
  • Visiting students from other colleges
  • Students who have already earned a degree
  • High school seniors

Please Note: Current CUNY students interested in ePermit courses should not apply as Non-Degree students. Information about ePermit can be found on the CUNY website.


How to apply?

  1. Make sure to have the following required documents ready to attach to your application electronically:
    ✓ Proof of high school graduation (diploma or transcripts)
    ✓ Unofficial college/university transcripts (if you have earned more than 24 college credits)
    ✓ Written approval from your high school principal or headmaster, etc. (for current high school seniors only)
  2. File the Non-Degree Admission Application online



Application Fee

There is a one-time application fee of $65 that will be added to your tuition bill once you register. You do not have to pay the application fee up front.


Application Priority Deadline

Fall Semester - May 1
Winter Session - October 1
Spring Session - November 1
Summer Session - April 1

After the priority deadline, we will accept applications based on space-availability.

How much does it cost?

Students taking a non-degree course pay the non-degree student tuition costs per credit. Tuition details can be found here 

Financial Aid
Unfortunately, financial aid or scholarship opportunities are not available for students taking non-degree courses.


Information for International Students on an F-1 Visa

Students on an F-1 Visa may only take non-degree courses under the following scenarios:

1. Student currently enrolled on F-1 visa in another college/university - Please provide a letter of authorization from current school’s Designated School Official and copies of an I-20 and/or a copy of their OPT card (front and back) are included in their file; students should be able upload these documents to the non-degree application.

2. Students enrolled in an ESL program such as IELI - Please provide an authorization letter from the Designated School Official 
Students in Certificate programs.

Document Actions
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065