Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Advising How To Declare Your Major

Declare Your Major

1. Print out the form on the righthand side (or you may pick up the form in the One Stop office, Room 217 of the North Building).

2. Fill out the appropriate fields of the form before bringing the form and a copy of your transcript (unofficial or official) to an academic advisor in the major department OR to your assigned academic advisor in the Office of Advising.  Either advisor can approve the declaration of the major form except in the case of elementary education, which requires approval from the School of Education.

3. Once your form is signed and stamped, submit the form to the One Stop office, Room 217 of the North Building.


Questions About Declaring Majors

Must all Hunter undergraduates have a major?
Yes. The key component of the baccalaureate is the major, a concentration of courses in a particular subject area. You must pursue and complete an approved major as part of the requirements for the Hunter degree, and at least one-half of your major credits must be completed in residence at Hunter College.

When must I declare my major?
All matriculated students must declare a major no later than the semester in which the combination of credits earned and credits in progress totals 61 credits or more. Transfer students entering with 60 credits or more must declare their major before the end of their first semester at Hunter.

Students receiving Federal and/or State financial aid awards, must declare their major and minor before completing 60 credits. Failure to comply will result in the a hold on the academic record and registration.

If you do not register for courses at Hunter for one or more semesters, you must declare your major and minor again upon readmission to the college.

What good is a major?
A major gives you depth of knowledge and competencies in an academic area of particular interest to you and prepares you directly or indirectly for graduate school and/or your future career.

What if I don't know what my major will be?
Don't panic. Some students choose their majors at the start of their college careers. Others begin college knowing that they do not know. As you think about choosing your major, consider your interests and abilities first. Don't select a major because a friend does, or because your parents suggest it. If you need assistance with your decision, you can seek guidance from an academic advisor in any of the academic departments, an advisor in the Office of Advising, 1119 East Building, or a career counselor in Career Development Services, 805 East Building.

Does my major determine my future career?
Not necessarily. Taking courses in a major and training for a job can be different. Some majors are vocationally specific: education and nursing are good examples of such fields. However, other majors are not, and many employers want graduates with transferable skills, regardless of their majors. Therefore, it is wise to consider your possible career interests, but it is not always necessary to be specialized to find an interesting and challeging career.

Can a department or program refuse to accept me?
Yes. A major may demand a minimum grade-point average (GPA) higher than the 2.0 required of all Hunter undergraduates to remain in good academic standing. Students who do not earn the minimum GPA required by a major may not be accepted into that major, may be dismissed from that major, or may not be certified for graduation with that major.

How do I change my major?
As you learn more about your preferences and abilities, you may decide to change your major. Since the change may require you to adjust your graduation schedule, you should discuss your degree progress with your academic advisor before filing a new Major/Minor Form.

Document Actions

Major Declaration Form

Advising website feedback:
East Building Room 1119
(212) 772-4882 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065