Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Art » Opportunities & Special Programs » Foreign Exchange Program
This Week's Newsletter & Archive

Faculty & Staff Events
Event Gabriele Evertz-Sensory Impact, American Abstract Artists (AAA) Morgan Stanley & Co., Purchase, NY, May 1 2014 - May 1 2015,
May 01, 2014
Event Robert Hickman-Fluid Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art, Staten Island NY,
May 03, 2014
Event Paul Ramirez Jonas-Under the Same Sun: Art from Latin America Today Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum,
Jun 13, 2014
Event Paul Ramirez Jonas-We Make the Treasure Exploratorium, Pier 15, San Francisco, CA,
Jun 19, 2014
Sep 02, 2014
Event David J Wilson-Socrates Sculpture Park Socrates Sculpture Park 32-01 Vernon Boulevard Blvd @ Broadway,
Sep 07, 2014
Event Hugh Walton-Wash Your Mouth Out Romano Gallery Armstrong-Hipkins Center fo rthe Arts Blair Academy, Blairstown, NJ 07825,
Sep 08, 2014
Event Reiner Leist-Cityscapes and Memories: Measuring Absence Deutsches Haus at NYU,
Sep 09, 2014
Event Brian Wood-Spin Zero NOVELLA GALLERY 164 Orchard Street New York, NY 10002,
Sep 11, 2014
Event Katerina Lanfranco-All Worked Up Sep 12, 2014
Event Peter Dudek-Susan Hartung, Following the Line The Teaching Gallery at Hudson Valley Community College, Troy NY,
Sep 18, 2014
Event Michael Berube-#occupycommonground Church of St. Paul The Apostle, corner of Columbus Ave. and W. 60th St.,
Sep 18, 2014
Event Tryn Collins & Laura K. Frantz-Abraxas Temporary Agency 855 Wyckoff Ave. Ridgewood, NY 11385,
Sep 26, 2014
Event Gabriele Evertz-Doppler Shift 68 Elm Street Summit, NJ 07901,
Sep 28, 2014
Event Diana Cooper-Material Way 81 Barclay Street, New York, New York,
Sep 30, 2014
Event Juan Sanchez-DAY IN, DAY OUT: Art as Social Engagement El Museo Del Barrio 1230 Fifth Avenue at 104th Street New York NY 10029,
Oct 01, 2014
Event Marthe Keller-Freak Flag Oct 16, 2014
Document Actions


The Department of Studio Art offers a one semester Exchange Program to European art schools. This exchange is available to BFA students, 42 credit art majors who are in their junior or beginning senior year, or MFA students who have passed or are applying for the mid-program review.

Exchange Program


Scholarships ($2000.00) will be issued upon your return but only if you have submitted all FAFSA information correctly before you leave for Europe.  Please check their deadlines at  Studetns use their six credits for three Independent Study courses within the semester that they are going aproad and all tuition and fees are payable to Hunter.  Additional costs to the students will be for transportation, living expenses, and materials.


Forms are available at the Art Office

First week of April for Fall & Spring semesters.  Please check with the Art and Art History Office for exact dates.

The application should include a brief reason for the selection of the particular school chosen, two copeis of a CD with ten digital images of your work, and two copies the accompanying slidelist for the images must be attached for review at Hunter and the Exchange Partners.  Two recommendations form Hunter's Art Faculty are required and students should discuss the relevance of foreign study with their current professor and the department advisors.  Faculty members familiar with your work should read your proposals to provide helpful insigts to the Exchange Committee.  If you wish to go to Paris or Berlin and you are not fluet in French or German, you may want to take an intensive language course to achieve a basic level of proficiency in speaking the language.  The official language at the Exchange Schools in the Netherlands in English.  The Exchange Program Committee interviews all applicants in person.


Royal College of Art- London, United Kingdom
Universität der Künste- (UdK) Berlin, Germany
Frank Mohr Insitute- Groningen, Neterlands
Ecole Nationale Superieure de Beaux Arts- Paris, France
The Glasgow School of Art- Glasgow, Scotland


Ecole Nationale Superieure de Beaux Arts- Paris, France
The Academie Minerva- Groningen, Netherlands
The Glasgow School of Art- Glasgow, Scotland

All selections are subject to final approval by the European schoos -- this determines our 1:1 policy.  Due to different academic years in European schools, the Art Office may not inform applicants until lage fall for spring applications.  Once names have been submitted to the Hunter registrar's office all decisions are irreversible.

Directly exchanging accommodations with an incoming student from the school you will be attending is sometimes most convenient and cost effective.  Please note: The Hunter Art & Art History Department is not rewponsible for making or arranging any living accommodations.


The appliation form is available at the Art Office.  Immigration information, foreign registration and medical services for studying abroad can be obtained from the International STudent office, room 1109 East.  Also insurance is required of you; please chekc at HTH Worldwise,

The contact person for the Exchange Program is Sarah Hollars,, 212-650-3778



Get More Tips at:



Q: What do I need when traveling ouside the US?

A:  When going abroad and planning to re-enter the US you must have all the documents discussed in the "Documentation" section of the above web address.  When leaving the country you will need to surrender the white I-94 card stapled into your passport, most border Officials will take this automatically, but they may forget and it is your responsibility to make sure you have given it to the appropriate official.  Failure to surrender this card may delay your re-entry to the US or cause other problems.  Before making any trip abroad you should come see us at the International Students Office to make sure you have everything you require and an endorsed I-20.


Q: Where can I find more information?

A: The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is comprised of many elements, one of the biggest and most complex is Customs and Border Protection (CBP), they have a very informative website where you can find most fo the information you need to know when traveling.  You can find their website here:


Q:  Who should I contact if I experience difficulty enter the US?

A:  If all of your documents are in order, you should not experience problems at the border.  However, sometimes students encounter a problem when entering the US, you should remember to remain calm, it may be a stressful situtation, but remain calm and logical.  The first thing you need to do is identify what the problem is, when you know this you can ask the Customs and Border Protection Officer to either contact your Embassy in the US and /or contact the International Students Office at: 212-772-4864 and we can help assist you as much as possible.


Department Calendar


Undergraduate Communications Studio

News, Events, and more . . .

Don't miss out
Get the Weekly Newsletter