How to Apply
Instructions for Applying to the MFA Program
MFA Admission Requirements
MFA applicants must have an undergraduate baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution (BA, BFA, or BS), and MUST HAVE 24 credits in studio art and 9 in art history. Applicants must also have maintained a 3.0 GPA overall, and a 3.0 GPA in art courses.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 15th
Applications uploaded after the January 15th deadline will not be considered. From the pool of applicants we receive, we will accept some students for the fall and some for the following spring. If you are accepted for the fall, you may have the option to defer to the spring, but if you are accepted for the spring, you must start in the spring.
The MFA program is offered in six concentrations, of which you must select only one:
3. Printmaking/Drawing/Works on Paper
5. Clay and Casting
6. Combined Media (Installation, Performance and Video. NOT Mixed Media or Collage.)
The application process includes the following:
- General application
- A statement of purpose describing work, your goals, and how attending Hunter will help you achieve those goals.
- Transcripts from accredited undergraduate institution (if you are unsure of the accreditation of your institution please contact Graduate Admissions prior to submitting your application: www.hunter.cuny.edu/graduateadmissions)
- Two letters of recommendation from former instructors, preferably professors who teach studio art.
- TOEFL score (if applicable). Applicants who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and earn a minimum score of 570. Applicants may be required to submit an essay written in English, and/or complete a course in the English Department before being permitted to matriculate in the StudioHistory Program.
- 10 Images (and or three minutes of video) submitted via Slideroom
To complete the application, you will need to fill out the Hunter College Graduate Application for Admission here: https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=Hunter-G
You will also need to upload your portfolio at http://hunter.slideroom.com where you will be provided specific instructions about requirements for all work submitted online.
* International applicants [those who either have undergraduate credits from non-U.S. institutions and/or who require a Student (F-1) or Exchange (IAP-66) Visa] are required to submit their applications at least one month prior to the program deadline.
If you have any questions about your submission, please contact the Art Department Office at (212) 772-4995 or email@example.com.
The Art Department will hold informational meetings with the Graduate Advisor, once a month from September to December. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to attend a tour. Directions to the meeting: Tours/meetings will begin at 205 Hudson Street NY NY, meeting at the security desk.
Note: Those selected for an interview will be contacted by the Art Department by early March. Please do not contact the Art Department to inquire about the status of your application.
TUITION AND FEES
Students must pay tuition and fees in full at the time of registration. Financial arrangements for the payment of tuition and fees must be made by the student prior to registration. More information about tuition and fees can be found at: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/bursar/tuition-fees/tuition-and-fees-1