Computer Technician Certificate
This course introduces the student to the basic concepts and mechanics of PC support with emphasis on the concepts at this basic level and more emphasis on the mechanics at the advanced level. To get the certificate you must complete both levels.
The complete certificate program is $1300 plus a one time $20 registration fee, or you can register for each course individually, with a $20 registration fee per semester. To register online for courses please click on the Course Browser/Registration. Click the button to view the Program Brochure.
Computer Technician I (Basic Level 40 hours) $700
Not available this semester.
This course introduces the student to the basic concepts of PC support with emphasis on the theory at this basic level and the practical applications at the advanced level. This course is for you if you meet any of the following:
- You can operate a computer e.g. type a document, browse the internet, e-mail etc, and has wondered how the PC works internally and what it takes to deal with its common problems
- You are pursuing a career as a PC Technician – where you will work as a First-level Help Desk Technician in Private Companies and Public organizations
- You plan to set up computer maintenance business of your own in future with more exposure at the Advanced level and some hands-on experience
- You are already in PC repairs business but need some brush up in the theory and concepts
- Looking forward to taking certifications exams like the A+, Network+, etc
- For those aspiring for higher level qualifications like the Microsoft and Cisco certifications and college degrees this course provides good foundation.
- PC System Overview; The Typical Personal Computer – (PC); The Hardware System; The Software System, The Operating System
- Internal Devices:TheMotherboard; The Microprocessor (CPU); BIOS; Bus Structures; Memory Systems; Data Storage Systems; Power Supplies
- External Devices:I/O Ports; Output Devices; Printers
- Looking Ahead:Portable Systems; More on Operating Systems; Introduction to Networking; The Internet; PC Malfunction and Maintenance
Computer Technician II (Advance Level 40 hours) $700
Not available this semester.
This course teaches the practical aspects of PC support which builds on the theoretical concepts learned at the basic level and will benefit you if you meet any of the following:
- You have a proven basic level training of the personal computer and familiar with its components and internal devices, their purposes and functions.
- You intend to work as a second level Computer Help Desk Technician in companies, private businesses and public departments
- You are pursuing a career in PC maintenance – where you can set up privatebusiness of your own.
- Looking forward to taking certifications exams like the A+, Network+, etc this course will greatly assist you.
- It is also a helpful course for those aspiring for higher qualifications, degrees and certifications in Information Technology e.g. Microsoft Certified Systems
- Administrator (MCSA) or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).
- The Total PC System: keeping the system operating; hardware variants: portable systems; software/operating system variants; networking; the internet; assembling the PC; disassembling the PC; PC malfunction; viruses; troubleshooting; preventive maintenance; customer support/communications