1) Do I need a college degree to enroll in this program? We advise students that they should have a Bachelor’s Degree. It will make you more marketable as an ESL teacher.
2) Where can I teach with a TESOL Certificate? You can teach in the U.S. in Community Based Programs, at Public Libraries and in Afterschool Programs. You can also teach overseas.
3) Can I use this certificate to teach in public schools? No, this certificate may not be used as public school certification.
4) What type of ESL classes will I observe? You will observe classes at the Hunter College IELI.
5) How many courses are in the program? There are eight courses and you can take as many as eight in one semester and as few as one.
6) How many hours of observation will be required to complete? You will need to complete a max of 20 hours of observation to complete this program.
7) Where are classes held? Classes are divided between our 68th Street and 94th Street campuses.
8) How many times does each class meet? Each class meets eight times.
9) How long will it take to complete the semester? It depends on how many classes you take each semester. If you take one class each semester, it will take eight semesters. If you take four classes each semester, it will take two semesters.
10) Can I apply these classes toward credits for a Master’s Degree? No, these classes are strictly non-credit classes.