You are here: Home Communications Style Guide Graphical Standards

Graphical Standards

All photos used on the web should have a resolution of at least 72 dpi and should be at least 640 x 480 pixels in size. Photos that do not meet these requirements are discouraged, as they may be too blurry to use and will appear unprofessional.

Other graphics used on the web, such as icons, buttons and logos, should have a resolution of at least 72 dpi, but may be of any size.

Crop and scale images appropriately. Since screen real estate is limited, reduce images to the key elements.

Use graphics purposefully. Graphics should pertain directly to the text on the page and should help readers retain information. Images should enhance the text, not distract from it.

Images are often more effective than plain text when explaining processes. Use screenshots and diagrams to emphasis steps in a process.

When creating images to represent the College, you should use the official Hunter College colors as listed in the Hunter Brand section of this guide.

All faculty and staff listings on the web should include a headshot of each individual when available.

If you need photos taken for a Hunter website or publication, please contact the Communications Office at They will arrange for a photographer to visit your office at a designated time to take the necessary photos.

Photo Captions

Include a caption if the photo contains a person, place or situation that the reader may want to identify, or if a caption is needed to show how the photo pertains to the text.

Use (left) or (from left) when listing photo subjects.

Do not use middle initials in names, even if middle initials are included in the associated text.

Do not use punctuation if the caption is not a full sentence; sentence fragments are acceptable in captions.

Do not number your images (Figure 1, Figure 2, etc.) unless each image will be referred to later in a long body of text.

Do not state the obvious (e.g.,”This group is standing in the hallway”.).

Permission to Use Photos

In order to use a photo of an individual or a group of people on the web or in print, you must have a signed photo release form for each person who appears in the picture. Release forms are available in the Communications Office or from Legal Affairs. For more information about this policy, please contact the Communications Office.

Document Actions
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065