Arnhold MA in Dance Education Track 2
Curriculum Details: TRACK 2: (30 credits total) Applicants to TRACK 2 already have initial K-12 certification in Dance from New York State.
- DANED 760: Dance Teaching Methods 1 - Introduction to methods and strategies for lesson planning and curriculum building; examination of contexts for productive learning; differentiated instruction, and strategies for reaching students with special needs; use of music in teaching dance. Specific content areas will include Creative Movement, Technique/Physical Skills, Traditional Forms, Dance in the Community, Musical Theater. (3 credits)
- DANED 762: Dance Teaching Methods 2 - Advanced investigation into content of Methods 1, including peer-to-peer inquiry groups, in-house teaching, and self-evaluation. (3 credits)
- DANED 764: Practicum - Observation and assessment of teaching in students' professional employment. (2 credits)
Theory/Context/Perspectives (9 credits)
- DAN 740: Aesthetics (3 credits)
- Aesthetics (Personal and Philosophical) - Aesthetic Analysis of Choreography and Textual Analysis of major works in a viariety of genres and styles.
- Contemporary Issues and Trends - Pop Culture, Fusion/Globalism and Collaboration/New Media/Digital Technologies
- Artistic Ecology - Resources, Careers and Political/Social Activism.
- DAN 742: Dance History - Origins, History, Traditions, Innovations (3 credits)
- Historical Survey.
- Lomax Cultural Origins.
- Trends in Global Dance Studies.
- Trends in Cultural Studies.
- DAN 746: Special Topics - A rotating cycle of content based on student and faculty interests, to include issues such as multi-culturalism, globalism, collaboration, distinct styles and arts administration. (3 credits)
- DAN 701 - Physical Training- 3 courses: (2 credits each - 6 credits) of work focused on the training of the body and both theoretical and practical understanding of its functionalities. Designed to be highly responsive to the individual student's needs and interests and will include courses in Contemporary Dance, Ballet, African styles, as well as independent studies in other styles available at the advanced levels in the NYC dance community.
- DAN 705 - Maintenance of the Instrument (3 credits)
- Survey of somatic approaches to the dancer's instrument.
- Intensive topics in anatomy and kinesiology.
- Analysis of style-based patterns: jazz, urban and world styles.
- Intensive examination of pedagogical integration of somatic thinking
- DAN 730 - Studies of Forms (3 credits)
- Individualized assignments designed to push students to expand their personal artistic capabilities.
- Practice in creating choreographic work in a variety of forms, genres and styles appropriate to Pre-K-12 environments.
- DAN 735 - Performance/Presentation (1 credit)
- Presentation of original choreography.
- Written analysis of pedagogical principles pertaining to the creative process.