An exhibition centered on the photography of Hiram Maristany
With new projects by
Curated by Arden Sherman, Curator, Hunter East Harlem with Javier Rivero, Curatorial Fellow, Hunter College.
March 25 – June 13, 2015
Hunter East Harlem
Hunter East Harlem and the Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College are thrilled to present the multilayered exhibition Anchor. The exhibition features iconic and some, never-before-seen original, never-before-seen photographs by Hiram Maristany, and six contemporary artists—Nicole Cohen, Selena Kimball, Miguel Luciano, Steven Perez, Saul Williams, and Caroline Woolard—who have selected photographs from Maristany’s personal collection, and are using them to create unique new works that will be exhibited in the gallery and in various locations throughout the East Harlem neighborhood over the exhibition’s duration.
Anchor has been made possible through generous support provided by The Office of the President at Hunter College and Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College. Additional leadership support of the Hunter College Art Galleries and this exhibition has been provided by Agnes Gund, Carol Goldberg, and an anonymous donor.
Exhibition projects (Please note some dates have changed):
- Sketch artist Stephen Mancusi will be in the gallery for portrait drawing sessions open to the public as part of Selena Kimball’s project, Hunter East Harlem: Thursday, May 7th, and May 21st, 1-3PM.
- Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 6-8PM: Nicole Cohen video installation opening at Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, 448 E 116th Street at Pleasant Ave. 5PM: Exhibition tour at Hunter East Harlem followed by short walk to church.
- Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 6PM: Public workshop by Caroline Woolard about artists involvement in affordable housing in NYC, at Hunter East Harlem gallery
- Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 1PM: Miguel Luciano kite building workshop, Silberman School of Social work and Marcus Garvey Park, details to come
- Friday, May 29, 2015 - 8PM: Saul Williams public performance at St. Edward the Martyr Church, 14 East 109th Street
- Saturday, June 6, 2015 - 2-4PM: Performative Walking Tour of East Harlem by Steven Perez, starting at Hunter East Harlem
- Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 5PM: Exhibition Closing, reception at Hunter East Harlem