Expenses, Fees and Aid
I) PROGRAM FEES
Applicants are encouraged to submit payment before the deadline to avoid the Late Application Fee and the Late Payment Fees.
Application Fee & Deposit
- $ 350.00 Application Fee & Deposit is the cost for applying to Hunter College's study abroad short-term programs.
Program Fee Balance
- Balance varies per program. Program Fee Balance is the balance due after the student has been accepted into the program.
- Program Fees may include room & board fees, international medical insurance, trips & excursions, and some meals. Look at your chosen program description for specific details on what that particular program fee includes.
- Some programs offer multiple sessions for a more intensive experience, please contact us to confirm your cost adjustments.
Tuition payments are made directly to the Hunter College Bursar, or to your specific CUNY college Bursar. However, non-CUNY students pay the tuition to the Education Abroad Office.
- Tuiton costs are separate from the program fee.
- Program descriptions show tuition costs for in-state degree students. The Hunter College Bursar has an easy-to-use Tuition Calculator for student's to estimate their tuition costs based on their undergraduate/graduate class standing, NYS residency status, and whether students are matriculated or not.
- Faculty Advisors and the Office of Education Abroad may be able to work together to ensure your ability to register for more than 6 credits during a summer session, if you are interested in an intensive opportunity abroad. Check specific program descriptions for details.
ADDITIONAL & MISCELLANEOUS EXPENSES
- Additional expenses may include passport and visa application fees, textbooks, immunizations, and local transportation. These expenses are the responsibility of the student.
III) PENALTIES & FEES FOR LATE WITHDRAWALS
- Deposits are nonrefundable after the program application deadline; should a student withdraw from a program for any reason after this deadline, the deposit will be lost. Also note that paying the program deposit authorizes the provider (whether Hunter or a third party) to incur expenses on the student's behalf; should a student withdraw from a program for any reason after paying the deposit, he or she will be responsible for any non-recoverable expenses. These expenses can include (but are not limited to) airfare, housing fees, and partial or full tuition.
- Late Application Fee - Late applications will incur $25 late fee. Students can get an extension of up to a month for medical forms.· * Application Fees & Medical forms not submitted a month after the application deadline will incur $25 late fee if submitted within a week. * Each additional week of delay will raise the late fee by $5.
- Late Payment Fee - Students are ultimately responsible for meeting the payment deadline regardless of funding source, i.e. Macaulay Opportunities Fund, loans or any type of Financial Aid. Unfortunately, we can't wait for the disbursement of these funds, which often takes place several weeks after our deadline, since we need to pay vendors abroad by their deadlines. Therefore, students should start planning for it from the time of application and be prepared to advance the necessary payment by the deadline.* Late payments will incur $25 late fee if submitted within a week. * Each additional week of delay will raise the late fee by $5.
IV) SCHOLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS, GRANTS & AWARDS
Compass Exchange is a tool any young adult can utilize to raise money for their international experience.
Winter Scholarships for Hunter Students
Only available to Hunter students participating in Hunter programs during the Winter intersessions.
Scholarship for French Double Majors to France
- The Benjamin Franklin Travel Grant
- There will be no Summer 2016 call for applications.
National Scholarship Competitions
Federally-funded Scholarships and Grants
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- Freeman Awards for Study in Asia (Freeman-ASIA)
- Boren Awards for International Study
- A limited number of $500 scholarships are available for students accepted into any USAC program. If interested, please come by the office after you have received your acceptance letter from USAC.
Study Abroad Funding Search Engines
V) FINANCIAL AID
For questions regarding how your financial aid package may be applied towards your education abroad, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at Hunter College. All program descriptions contain a list of FAFSA awards that may be applied towards education abroad.