Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Education Abroad Programs Semester Hunter College Programs Semester Exchanges JAPAN (NAGOYA)

HUNTER/Meijo University Exchange


FALL/YEAR program application deadline: TBA. Fall/Year applications will be due mid-February; check back soon for the exact date!

SPRING program application deadline: SEPTEMBER 13.


Meijo University has over 90 years of history that can be traced back to the establishment of the Nagoya Science and Technology Course in 1926. As one of the largest universities in the Chubu region, Meijo University is a comprehensive learning institution that supports a wide range of academic fields from the humanities to physical sciences. To foster the human resources of the next generation, the university continues to tackle ongoing challenges by further enhancing its campus and creating new faculties. Applicants must have studied Japanese for a minimum of one year at the university level.

Hunter students can apply for either:

For more information, visit their website.

All students participating in the exchange program are required to enroll in the CUNY comprehensive travel insurance policy through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) in addition to the Japanese National Health Insurance. Visit this link to learn more about the CUNY policy and view monthly rates. Accepted students will receive the appropriate code to self-enroll.



You must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 at the time of your application. You must have at least 60 credits at the end of the semester in which you are applying.

Please submit the following application materials by the deadline (see deadlines above):

  1. Faculty Recommendation Form AND Letter of Recommendation:
    • The Faculty Recommendation Form must be completed by someone who has instructed you at the college level. They should then submit directly to the Office of Education Abroad, following the instructions on the form, by the above deadline.
    • The same faculty member must also submit a letter of recommendation to be submitted to MU as part of your application.
  2. Online Application Form. Have the following documents prepared to upload with your online application:
    • 1-2 page personal statement describing your study plan at MU: Please explain why you want to study at MU based on your future academic and/or career plans (in English).
    • Copy of your unofficial Hunter transcript, downloaded from your CUNYfirst account.

      We encourage transfer students who have completed at least one full semester (minimum of 12 credits) at Hunter to apply for our exchange programs, provided they meet the other requirements. Qualified transfer students with fewer than 12 completed Hunter credits may be considered on a case-by-case basis. All students who have transferred to Hunter must also provide an official transcript from their previous institution(s) with their application (we will accept unofficial transcripts printed from CUNYfirst only). You will be able to upload multiple transcripts via the Online Application Form.
    • Scan of the photo page of your passport. We require a copy of your valid passport before you go abroad. If you are in the process of applying for or rewewing your passport, you may submit the Online Application Form without this; however, you must be prepared to email a scan of your new passport as soon as you receive it.

All application materials must be submitted by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.

Accepted nominees will be provided with instructions for submitting their application to MU online. If you are accepted as a nominee, you should be prepared to submit the above documents (including the passport copy) as well as the following materials by March 1 (for Fall semester programs) or October 1 (for Spring semester programs):

  • Photograph of the face, 4cm x 3cm.
  • Bank statement (in English or Japanese) that shows the deposit balance to cover expenses while in Japan.
  • Certificate of health (in English or Japanese).
  • If applying to the MEP‐J program, you must submit your "study plan" to MU only in Japanese.


Applicants to the exchange programs are also eligible to apply for the Chancellor’s Global Scholarship.




Document Actions
Education Abroad website feedback:
Office of Education Abroad, Room E1447
(212) 772-4983 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065