Document Actions

Other Waste

Electronic Waste

E-wasteElectronic waste must be kept separate from other waste streams on campus. Hunter College employs a private vendor for the destruction or recycling of electronic waste.

  • Quarterly e-mails are sent out for dates and times for disposal of electronics.
  • Affix "Electronic Waste" label to all components.
  • If items of electronic waste are listed in the college inventory, contact Property Management in order to de-inventory the items you wish to discard.
  • If waste items contain computer parts and/or their peripherals, contact ICIT to have the hard drive memory cleaned.
  • Contact Facilities to remove all other electronic waste from your lab.


Gas Cylinders

Examples: Lecture bottles, compressed gas cylinders

  • Keep all compressed gas cylinders upright and properly secured to a wall or comparable surface.
  • Return spent cylinders to the manufacturer.
  • For questions and concerns, contact EHS at ext. 14462.



Examples: uncontaminated glassware, empty manufacturer bottles, broken glassware

Broken glass:

  • Containers for broken glassware can be found in organic chemistry labs and in other labs where generation of glass waste warrants.
  • Labs that do not have broken glass containers may place said glass in red, plastic biohazard sharps containers.
  • Shards should be safely collected and carried to containment areas.
  • Glass should be free of contamination from biohazardous and radioactive substances, though residual amounts of chemical may be present. There should be no liquid accumulation.
  • Facilities Department will empty cardboard containers when full.

Intact glass:

  • Try to recycle glassware by using it to store chemical waste as needed.
  • All glassware must be triple rinsed when being disposed of or recycled.
  • Labels that read “Triple Rinsed” and include the date of rinse should be affixed to containers.
  • Glassware for disposal may be placed in the hallway any day of the week for pickup.


Pigments and Glazes

Pigments and GlazesPainters use pigments in many forms of art media. Sometimes commercial paints such as oil, enamel, epoxy paints and automobile paints are used. Ceramic glazes may contain pigments as well. Many ceramic glazes and pigments contain heavy metals that are considered hazardous waste. Unused portions of the glazes should be disposed of accordingly.

Examples: oil paints, acrylics, watercolor paints, gouache, encaustic, poster paints, casein paints and tempera

  • Mark waste materials with a “Hazardous Waste” label, and place in the Hazardous Waste Accumulation Area (HWAA).
  • Large amounts of ceramic glazes can be poured into 55 gallon plastic drums provided by EHS.


Sharp Objects

Examples: syringes, needles, scalpels, or glassware contaminated with live samples or specimens. This does not include radioactive sharps or animal carcasses.

  • Place all sharps in red, plastic biohazard sharps containers.
  • Do not overfill sharps containers.
  • Sharps containers must be securely closed and placed inside biohazard boxes with other regulated medical waste.
  • Cardboard biohazard boxes must be lined with approved red biohazard bags.
  • Biohazard boxes, as well as bags, are to be securely sealed and marked with the primary investigator’s name and room number.
  • Biohazard boxes may be placed in the hallway for pickup every Wednesday after 12 noon.
  • Biohazard boxes of any size are not to exceed 50 lbs.
  • For supplies or questions regarding packaging procedure, dial ext. 14136 and leave a message.


Universal Waste

Universal waste must be kept separate from other waste streams on campus. Hunter College employs a private vendor for the destruction or recycling of universal waste.

Examples: mercury gages, mercury vapor light bulbs, pesticides, PCB oils, batteries

  • Label universal waste with the proper label.
  • Contact EHS for removal of universal waste from your lab.


Used Toner and Ink Cartridges

Example: printer cartridges

  • Place products in the packaging that came with your replacement equipment.
  • Return used toner and ink cartridges to the manufacturer using their prepaid return service label.



Examples: uncontaminated paper towel, wipes

  • Try to minimize trash by recycling, when possible.
  • Housekeeping is a major issue in laboratories. Always tidy your work space.
  • Do not discard trash as hazardous waste.
Emergency Contacts

Hunter Public Safety
(212) 772-4444

Environmental Health & Safety
(212) 772-4462

Facilities Management & Planning
(212) 772-4422

Student Health Services
(212) 772-4800

CDC Logo

US Dept of Health Logo

NYC Dept of Health Logo