For all packages, the following procedures for opening packages will carried out:
- Gloves will be worn to prevent hand contamination.
- Package will be visually inspected for any signs of damage or dampness.
- The outer package is to be opened and the packing slip removed.
- The inner package is to be opened and the contents verified to be in agreement with the packing slip.
- The integrity of the final source container is to be checked for:
- broken seals.
- loss of liquid.
- discoloration of the package material.
If contamination is suspected:
- A wipe test of the external surface of the final source container is to be done.
- An assay of the wipe is to be performed with an appropriate survey meter and the amount of removable activity is to be recorded (i.e., dpm/100 cm 2, etc).
- Precautions must be taken to contain the spread of contamination.
- Monitor the packing materials and packages for contamination
- before discarding, if contaminated.
- treat as radioactive waste if not contaminated.
- obliterate radiation labels before discarding in regular trash.
- Maintain a record of each package, check with the receipt records.