Personnel and Area Decontamination
- Contaminated clothing should be removed and stored for further evaluation by the Radiation Safety Officer.
- If the spill is on the skin, flush thoroughly with lukewarm water and then wash with a mild soap.
- If contamination remains, induce perspiration by covering the area with plastic.
- Wash the affected area again to remove any contamination that was released by perspiration.
- Plan the procedure thoroughly and obtain supplies.
- Provide adequate protection for all personnel.
- Provide safe storage of all radioactive wastes and decontamination supplies.
- Always work toward the center of the contamination.
- Take care not to spread or track contamination to cleaner areas.
- Monitor frequently and thoroughly.
- Cover clean areas with plastic sheets or equivalent.
- Monitor all personnel and materials before permitting their movement to clean areas.