If you see a fire:
- Call the Fire Department (911 on campus or off), or
- Call the Public Safety Emergency Number 212-772-4444 or extension 4444 from the 68th Street Campus, or
- Pull the nearest fire alarm box.
Fire Emergency Procedures
- Evacuate your area.
- Close, but do not lock doors behind you.
- Follow instructions transmitted over the public address system. In the MFA Building, you'll be notified by Public Safety officers.
- Proceed to evacuate the building through designated exit areas.
- Before entering any stairwell, touch the door with the palm of your hand. If it is warm or hot, do not enter the stairwell. Proceed to the next stairwell.
- Walk downstairs; do not run. Do not panic. Remain calm.
- When going down a stairwell, keep your head turned toward the center wall of the stairwell. This precaution will give more protection to your face and eyes in the event of an explosion.
- It is dangerous to use elevators during an evacuation. Use elevators only when authorized to do so by the Fire Department.
- When using the down escalators, make long and wide turns going from one escalator to the next escalator in order to prevent congestion.
- When you are outside the building, move approximately 200 feet away from the entrance.
- Public Safety will notify you when the building is safe, and then you may re-enter.