Preparation for Secondary School Teaching: Aug 26, 2010 - Aug 27, 2013 (30 Credits)
Below are the guidelines for the Preparation for Secondary School Teaching concentration (formerly Adolescent Education) for students who declared the major between August 26th, 2010 and August 27, 2013. Students who declared the major prior to August 26, 2010 should follow the Old Adolescent Education Guidelines.
This concentration is a 30-credit major that consists of 4 parts:
1. ENGL 338 Survey of British Literature I: Anglo-Saxon Literature to Romanticism
2. ENGL 303 Western Literary Backgrounds
3. ENGL 306 Literary Theory
4. One course chosen from the following:
- ENGL 352 Shakespeare Survey
- ENGL 353 Shakespeare: The Earlier Plays
- ENGL 354 Shakespeare: The Later Plays
5. One course chosen from the following:
- ENGL 395 Survey of American Literature: Origins to the Civil War
- ENGL 396 American Prose 1871-1914
- ENGL 397 American Poetry to 1914
6. One course chosen from the following:
- ENGL 320 Multi-Ethnic American Literature
- ENGL 325 Post-Colonial Literature
1. ENGL 301 Theory and Practice of Expository Writing
2. One course chosen from the following:
- ENGL 300 Introduction to Creative Writing
- ENGL 341 Rhetorical Principles of Expository Writing
- ENGL 331 The Structure of Modern English
Students may choose from among 300- or 400-level English courses, including, if the student is eligible, one of the Honors Seminars (ENGL 494). It is strongly recommended that students consider choosing either a Modern/Contemporary Literature, Linguistics, Rhetoric, or Writing course to fulfill the Elective requirement.
You can plan your course of study using the current Preparation for Secondary School Teaching Checklist.