College & University Transcripts
These instructions are not applicable to those who are applying to the CUNY School of Public Health. For more information on the application requirements, please consult with the SOPHAS website.
In support of your application, Hunter College requires you to scan and upload transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions you have attended, including graduate and undergraduate institutions where you earned (or will earn) a degree, studied for one semester or more, or study abroad. If you are admitted, you will be required to submit official transcripts from ALL institutions you have attended, regardless of the number of credits earned.
Prior to submitting your application, you are required to upload scanned unofficial transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions where you earned (or will earn) a degree, studied for one semester or more, or took classes. You do not have to mail paper copies of your transcripts prior to receiving an offer of admission.
The academic records that we refer to as transcripts should provide a listing, year by year, of all courses taken and the grade or mark received for each. It is helpful to have the grading scale of the institution and the student's rank in class included when such information is available. Do not submit secondary school records. To be considered, all documents not in English must be accompanied by English translations from the issuing institution or a recognized translation service.
Hunter College reserves the right to rescind any offer of admission if any discrepancies are found between your uploaded and official transcript[s].
Acceptable transcript formats
- Scanned copies of paper transcripts produced by the institution. Make sure that your file is in Word (.doc) or PDF format and does not exceed 1,500 KB (1.5 MB) in size. You may also need to ROTATE the document in such a way so that is readable/upright as well. Once you have uploaded your file, click the "View Document" button to ensure that the document you have uploaded is legible throughout.
- Electronic transcripts produced by the institution.
- Web-based academic records produced by the institution and containing the name of the student and the name of the institution.
What to do if you are unable to upload a transcript
- Make sure that your file is in Word (.doc) or PDF format and does not exceed 1,500 KB (1.5 MB) in size.
- To ensure that your file is smaller than the maximum size, you may have to scan your file at the lowest DPI that produces a legible image. In most cases, you will be able to use a DPI under 200.
- Do not scan in color. Use grey scale if possible; otherwise, use black and white.
Once you have uploaded your file, click the "View Document" button to ensure that the document you have uploaded is legible throughout. If it is not legible, try again. You may need to adjust the settings of your scanner to produce a scan that is both legible and smaller than 1,500 KB (1.5 MB).
If you are absolutely unable to upload your transcript to the application and you are applying to a program in the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Education, School of Nursing, Communication Sciences or Doctorate of Physical Therapy Program, please email it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the body of the email, include your name and the name of the program to which you are applying.
If you are applying to the Silberman School of Social Work, please contact the Enrollment Management Office, (212) 396-7629; email@example.com for more information on an alternative submission for transcripts. DO NOT USE THE GRADADMISSIONS email address
We are aware that some schools do not issue transcripts directly to students. If this is the case for your school, and you are applying to a progam in the School of Arts and Sciences, School of Education, School of Nursing, Communication Sciences, or Doctorate of Physical Therapy Program, please have your school send a secure, electronic copy of your transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org or have them mail a paper copy to: Hunter College, ATTN:Graduate Admissions, 223North, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065.
If you are applying to the Silberman School of Social Work, please have your school mail a paper copy to: Silberman School of Social Work ATTN:Enrollment Management 7th Floor, 2180 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10035. DO NOT USE THE GRADADMISSIONS email address
Submitting Official Transcripts for Admitted Students
If you are offered admission, we will ask for confidential, official transcripts at that time. You do not need to send official transcripts prior to receiving an offer of admission.
Official transcripts must be received by the graduate admissions office at Hunter College, or the Silberman School of Social Work, Attn: Enrollment Management office 7th Floor in A SEALED INSTITUTIONAL ENVELOPE, or a secure, electronic copy DIRECTLY FROM THE INSTITUTION.
Please Note: If you have previously attended Hunter College and have indicated this on the application,THERE IS NO NEED TO REQUEST FOR AN OFFICIAL RECORD FROM THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE (OASIS) The Graduate Admissions Office will obtain it directly.
Instructions for submitting transcripts from US Institutions:
Request that your colleges/universities sent an official copy directly to us at the following address:
|Graduate Admissions Office, Room 223 North|
|695 Park Avenue|
|New York, NY 10065|
Or, if you are applying to the Silberman School of Social Work, your official records should be sent to:
|Silberman School of Social Work|
|Enrollment Management 7th Floor
|2180 Third Avenue
|New York, NY 10035|
Additional Instructions for submitting transcripts from non – US Institutions:
If non-US transcripts are issued in a language other than English, they must be uploaded with authorized, complete and exact English translations.
Official records must show the dates of enrollment; the subjects or courses taken; the units, credits or time allotted to each subject per term or year; marks or rating in each subject and, if rank is determined, rank in the total class or group.
- Evidence of conferral of all degrees, diplomas or professional titles must also be submitted. This may be in the form of official certified copies of the actual diploma, entries on official records or official statements from the granting institutions. In all cases the statement must include the exact, original title of the degree and the date of its formal conferral (month and year). If these documents are issued in a language other than English, they must be submitted with authorized, complete and exact English translations.
*PLEASE NOTE: ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED BECOME THE LEGAL PROPERTY OF THE COLLEGE AND MAY NOT BE SURRENDERED BACK OR COPIED*