Statement of Purpose
Your application must include a Statement of Purpose of approximately 500 words indicating your purposes and objectives in undertaking graduate study, your special interests and plans, and your strengths and weakness in your chosen field. In reviewing applications, considerable importance is placed on the applicant's relevant experience as well as his or her interest in and commitment to advanced study and professional development.
*The Advance Certificate in Geographic Information Science does not require a Statement of Purpose
The Statement of Purpose should be uploaded to the online application prior to submission. Please create your document using either Times New Roman or Arial font. This will assure that your document will be viewable by all web browsers. Please be sure to proofread your Statement of Purpose carefully before submitting it with your application.
Some graduate programs have specific requirements for the Statement of Purpose. Please refer to the list below to see additional instructions:
- Studio Art: Explain your motivations for becoming an artist and discuss personal experiences that have influenced the nature of your work; provide a specific description of your artistic practice and place your work in a critical and historical context (feel free to discuss specific artists, tendencies and theories that play a role in your practice; identify the specific features of the Hunter College MFA Program that would benefit your creative development).
- Creative Writing: Tell us about yourself, why you write, and why you wish to come to Hunter.
- Dance and Dance Education: In your essay, please describe your long term objectives in dance. This is not a request for a personal narrative. We are looking for clear research goals and professional intentions. Please address your interests in any/all of the creative processes of teaching, dancing, choreography, scholarship and/or writing.
- IMA: Describe your long term objectives as a media maker and the social impact you hope your work will have. Also explain why Hunter College's IMA program is particularly relevant to your creative goals.
- Playwriting: Why do you choose playwriting as a literary form? Discuss your background in the theater, the playwrights and productions that have influenced you, and what you hope to bring to the stage. Please answer these questions in a statement of 500 to 750 words.
- Counseling Programs: (400 – 600 words) Please describe a meaningful event that has shaped your interest in becoming a counselor and explain why it was important. *Additional Essay Question (to be uploaded in the Supplemental section) (400 – 600 words) Consider you are a counseling student providing services at a counseling internship placement site, what type of client or client issue would be difficult for you and why? How do you think you would cope with this situation? Please create your document using either Times New Roman or Arial font.
- Social Work: (500-1000 words, maximum of 5 pages) Use the following points as a guide to summarize your volunteer and professional background:How did you become interested in social work?; What experiences - professional, educational and organizational - led to or confirmed your interest in social work? If you considered another field before choosing social work, discuss your reason for wanting to make this change. What are the reasons for your decision to obtain graduate social work education at this time?; What are your expectations of graduate social work education? What area(s) of difficulty do you anticipate? Discuss those personal qualities and abilities that support your desire to become a social worker and that you think will be useful to you in studying for the profession. What areas of social work interest you particularly? In what areas of social work do you think you would like to work after you complete graduate school?
*PLEASE NOTE: ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED BECOME THE LEGAL PROPERTY OF THE COLLEGE AND MAY NOT BE SURRENDERED BACK OR COPIED*