TOEFL, TSE, and TWE Scores
Prospective students whose native language is not English and who have completed all or part of their post-secondary education in a country where English is not the native language must possess the ability to read English with ease, understand rapid idiomatic English as used in lectures and group discussions, and express thoughts quickly and efficiently in spoken, as well as written, English.
Admission is offered only to those students who are fully prepared in English as demonstrated in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is not acceptable at Hunter College.
The TOEFL requirement is determined by your academic background and is not affected by your US legal status. US Citizenship or US Permanent Residency do not exempt you from the TOEFL requirement. Having earned a graduate degree (master's) at an accredited institution within the United States does not exempt you from the TOEFL requirement either. For information on taking the TOEFL, visit www.TOEFL.org.
Applications for students who are required to submit TOEFL, TSE, or TWE will not be considered without the test scores
The following minimum scores must be obtained:
- Paper Based Test: 550
- Computer Administered Test: 233
- Internet Based Test: 60 (less speaking component)
Please refer to the Program Requirements section to verify if your program requires TOEFL scores that are higher than the College's minimum requirement.
- Applicants to the School of Education who are required to take the TOEFL also need to present scores on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and Test of Written English (TWE). Please refer to to verify the minimum TSE and TWE scores required for the program to which you are applying. *Please note, the TSE and TWE are part of the IBT TOEFL exam.
- If you are applying to the Schools of Arts and Sciences, School of Education, Communication Sciences, Medical Laboratory Sciences, School of Nursing or Physical Therapy direct the Educational Testing Service (ETS) (www.TOEFL.org) to send your TOEFL scores to Hunter College, Graduate Admissions Office, institutional code is 2301.
- If you are applying to the Silberman School of Social Work direct the Educational Testing Service (ETS) (www.TOEFL.org) to send your TOEFL scores to the School of Social Work, institutional code is 2308.
*PLEASE NOTE ALL DOCUMENTS SUBMITTED BECOME THE LEGAL PROPERTY OF THE COLLEGE AND MAY NOT BE SURRENDERED BACK OR COPIED*