Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home » Graduate Admissions » Applying » Degree Application » Transfer Of Credit
Apply Online Button


Please note:

Effective August 2014 prospective applicants to the CUNY School of Public Health need to apply through the SOPHAS application system. Please DO NOT use the Hunter College graduate degree online application.

International Applicants

Applicants who have completed ALL or PART of their undergraduate studies in a NON-US institution and/or require students visas: The deadline to submit an application for the Fall 2015 has been extended until Sunday, March 1

Document Actions

Transfer Of Credit

Students who are accepted into a graduate program and register for courses may request transfer credit for relevant graduate courses at regionally accredited institutions, including courses taken at Hunter College while enrolled in another degree program, whether or not a master's degree was awarded.

Transfer of credit is subject to the approval of the department or graduate advisor and to the regulations of the Hunter program in which the student is enrolled. The following additional limitations apply:

  • The course(s) for which transfer of credit is requested must have been completed within five years prior to the awarding of the Hunter graduate degree. (A four-year restriction applies to the School of Arts and Sciences.)
  • Credits for courses in which the student earned a grade below B, or took a non-letter grade such as a pass/fail are not transferable.
  • A maximum of 12 credits may be transferred.
  • Courses used to satisfy entrance requirements, as well as courses used as part of a previously completed bachelor's program, may not be transferred.
  • Grades in courses transferred from other institutions, or from a prior master's degree program taken at Hunter College, will not be calculated into the student's grade point average (GPA), nor will these grades be posted on the current Hunter College record.

Please Note: Undergraduate students who have taken graduate courses while completing their undergraduate degree at Hunter College may apply to transfer the courses towards their graduate degree at Hunter College if the courses were not used to satisfy bachelor's degree requirements and the difference between the undergraduate and graduate tuition rates is paid. The grades in these courses will be calculated in the student's graduate grade point average (GPA) and the grades will be posted on the current Hunter College record.

How to Apply for Transfer of Credit:

  • Download and complete the Graduate Transfer of Credit Form (see link at the bottom of this page)
  • Submit the completed form along with an official copy of your college or university transcript (a syllabus of the courses may be required by your program) to your graduate advisor for approval.
  • Forward the approved form and an official copy of your college or university transcript to:
Hunter College
Graduate Admissions Office, Room 223 North
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10065

Download the Graduate Transfer of Credit Form (PDF)

Graduate Admissions Office Hours

Mon-Thurs - 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Friday - 10:00 am - 3:00 pm

Room - 223 (2nd floor) North Building

October 2012 »