School of Education
*Applicants who have completed all or part of their university studies in a non-US institution and/or require student visas must submit their applications no later than February 1 to be considered for Fall admission and September 15 to be considered for Spring admission.
Fall Admission Deadlines
- The following programs have Fall Admissions only: Childhood Education- Math/Science (March 15); Dance Education (February 15), Doctor of Education degree (Ed.D.) (February 1), Educational Psychology (March 15), Mental Health Counseling (February 1), and School Counseling (February 1)
- Fall Admissions Deadlines: All Other programs - March 15
Spring Admission Deadlines
- Spring Admissions Deadlines: October 15
General Application Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution comparable in standard and content to a bachelor’s degree from Hunter College.
- Two letters of recommendation from appropriate academic or professional sources.
- A statement of purpose of approximately 500 words describing your objectives in undertaking graduate study. In reviewing applications, considerable importance is placed on the applicant’s interest in and commitment to advanced study and professional development.
- Submit GRE scores. The GRE is required for all graduate teacher education and school building leadership programs. This includes initial certification, professional certification, and advanced certificate programs. The Hunter College ETS code for the GRE is 2301.
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities/colleges attended.
- Applicants whose native language is not English and who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language are required to submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Minimum TOEFL scores for all programs (effective as of Fall 2014):
- Overall: Paper Based Test: 575/ Computer Administered Test: 233/ IBT: 68 (less speaking component)
- Writing: Paper Based Test: 4.5/ IBT Writing Section: 22
- Speaking: Paper Based Test: 45/ IBT Speaking Section: 23