School of Education
The School of Education offers programs to prepare teachers, counselors and administrators for a wide range of careers in schools and non-profit settings. Most programs lead to certification in a particular field, as defined by the New York State Department of Education. All of the programs are registered with New York State and many are nationally recognized by specialized professional associations.
(Applicants who have completed all or part of their university studies in a non-US institution and or require student visas must submit their applications no later than February 1 to be considered for Fall admission and September 15 to be considered for Spring admission.)
- Fall Admissions Deadlines: Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling - February 1
- Fall Admissions Deadlines: All Other programs - March 15
- The following programs have Fall Admissions only: Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling; Childhood Education- Math/Science; Educational Psychology; Dance Education.
- Spring Admissions Deadlines: October 15
General Application Requirements:
A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution comparable in standard and content to a bachelor’s degree from Hunter College.
Two letters of recommendation from appropriate academic or professional sources.
A statement of purpose of approximately 500 words describing your objectives in undertaking graduate study. In reviewing applications, considerable importance is placed on the applicant’s interest in and commitment to advanced study and professional development.
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities/colleges attended.
- Applicants whose native language is not English and who have taken all or part of their undergraduate education in a country where English is not the native language are required to submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Minimum TOEFL scores for all programs (effective as of Fall 2014):
- Overall: Paper Based Test: 575/ Computer Administered Test: 233/ IBT: 68 (less speaking component)
- Writing: Paper Based Test: 4.5/ IBT Writing Section: 22
Speaking: Paper Based Test: 45/ IBT Speaking Section: 23