About the Student Email Upgrade
What do I need to do right now?
Go to NetID Central at any time, log in with your NetID and password (the same that you use to get your Hunter email), and fill in an alternate email address and/or SMS-enabled phone number, if you have one. That's all!
What's happening here?
ICIT is completing a massive upgrade of the entire email system. The end result will be a newer and more robust email infrastructure, with better anti-spam protection, easily-accessible features, and more secure password management.
- You'll go to a different website for webmail. (Or if you use a mail client such as Thunderbird, Eudora, OS X Mail, or a program on your smartphone, you'll have to change the server names in your settings.)
- The webmail system will no longer be Outlook Web Access; it will be the same system that Hunter faculty & staff use now, using an appliance server from Mirapoint.
- If you need to change your NetID password, you won't do so from within webmail any more. You'll go to a special web page called "NetID Central" to do that. (We have a separate help page for NetID Central.)
- NetID Central will also let you record an alternate email address and/or SMS-enabled phone number to use for resetting your password if you've forgotten it, or so that the Help Desk can contact you if there is a problem with your account.
- When you change your NetID password, your new password will have to meet certain security rules--for instance, it can't contain your NetID, nor can it be all letters or all numbers.
- You will have greater control over your anti-spam options.
- Your NetID will not be locked if you go over your email quota. (However, if you are over quota, your email will continue to bounce back to the sender with an error message.)
What's not changing?
- Your NetID (and therefore your email address) will NOT change. However, you MUST activate your NetID through NetID Central before the new system comes live.
- Your password will NOT change.
- Your email forwarding status will NOT change. If you're forwarding your Hunter email to your personal account now, that will be preserved. (And you will still be able to turn forwarding on or off after the upgrade.)
- The contents of your Hunter email will NOT change. Any email in your inbox will be migrated to the new system.
When will this upgrade happen?
The upgrade is an extended process, with some parts becoming available before others. NetID Central is already available, and ICIT encourages all students to activate their NetID and submit alternate contact information at the earliest opportunity. The cutover to the new mail system will happen the night of Saturday, November 21st, beginning at 8pm and running until 8am the next morning. Student email will be entirely unavailable for that time.