Voicemail Quick Reference Guide
This page has basic commands for Hunter's new voicemail system. (It contains the same information as the paper "Getting Started" sheet distributed when the new phones were installed.) For more information, we recommend all users view the online tutorial.
- Mailbox Number: Your five-digit extension (1+last four digits of phone number)
- Default Password: (Contact the Faculty/Staff Help Desk.)
- External Access (reaching your mailbox from off-campus): 212-396-6245
- Direct Access (reaching your mailbox from within the phone system): 88
- Leaving messages directly to a mailbox: 816245
Setting up your voicemail box
- From your own desk phone, either press the Voicemail key OR dial "88" and follow the prompts.
- Enter the default password followed by the pound key. (If you do not know the default password, please contact the Faculty/Staff Help Desk.)
- You will be asked to change your mailbox password and record your first & last names. It is important to do both of these requests.
Recording your personal greeting
- From within the voicemail system (by hitting the Voicemail key or dialling "88" from your phone), press 8 for Answering Options.
- Press 1 to record your personal, default greeting. (Without this, callers who reach your voicemail will simply hear your first and last name, as recorded when you set up your mailbox.)
- Press 2 for "Regular Greetings".
- At this point you will have a choice of recording one of four greetings: one to use for when your line is use ("Busy", option 2), one to use if your caller is from within the Hunter phone system ("Internal Greeting", option 3), one to use if your caller is phoning from outside Hunter ("External Greeting", option 4), and one to use outside of work hours ("After Hours Greeting", option 5). You can record separate greetings for any or all of these. Any of the above situations for which you have not recorded a personal greeting will use the system greeting, which simply contains your first and last name, as recorded when you set up your mailbox.
- Whichever greeting you choose to record, press the associated number, then press 1 to change that greeting. When you have finished, press *, and then #.
Message Playback Options
While listening to your voicemail messages, the following keys apply. (If you are actively listening to a specific message, you must press the * key before the command.)
- 2 to skip to the next message
- 3 to continue playing the message (if you have hit * to pause)
- 4 to save the message
- 6 to delete the message
- 73 to replay entire message
- 78 to rewind 8 seconds
- 98 to fast-forward 8 seconds