Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home International English Language Institute IELI International Student Office/F-1 College Admission Advisement

College Admission Advisement

Acceptance into the IELI program does not guarantee direct admission into Hunter College or any other college or university. If you plan to continue your education after your IELI courses, make an appointment with one of our academic counselors. Our counselors can help you find out what is required for admission into a college or university, which college or university offers your major, how to request your grades from your country, and how to complete your college admission application. For an appointment, contact or call (212) 772-4208.


Read on for quick answers to your questions about college admission requirements.


Q: How can I apply to college after my English courses?

A: If you are already studying in the IELI program and in level 6, we recommend that you make an appointment to speak with one of our college admission advisors. The advisor will help you with the application procedure.


Q: When must I send my application for admission to the college I choose?

A: International students are strongly recommended to send their completed applications to the college admissions office at least 6 months in advance.


Q: Why must I complete and send my application 6 months in advance?

A: College admission procedures for international students are very slow. Students are required to get official school documents from their countries, and this generally takes a long time.


Q: What documents do I need to include with my application for admission?

A: You must include your official transcripts (school grades), diploma and a check or money order for the application fee.


Q: I have a copy of my school grades. Can I send that copy with my application?

A: In general, colleges in the U.S. do not accept student copies of school grades. Therefore, you are strongly recommended to request an official copy of your grades and diploma from the last school you attended.


Q: Will the college admissions office accept my grades in my native language?

A: Your official grades must be in the original language. However, you must also include an official translation of your grades.


Q: Where can I get my grades or school documents translated?

A: If you are still in your country, the Ministry of Education, U.S. Consulate or any other "official" translating agency may be able to provide you with this service. Students who are already in the IELI program can request information about translations from our college advisers.


Q: Do I need to take the TOEFL test before I apply to college?

A: If you are applying to college directly from your country, you must take the TOEFL and request that the results be sent to the school you have chosen. If you are an IELI student, you must speak with the college admissions advisor for information about the TOEFL requirements


Q: What score do I need to have on the TOEFL in order to apply to college?

A: Most four-year colleges require a TOEFL score of at least 500 for undergraduate admission. Two-year colleges generally accept 450 or better on the TOEFL. Graduate programs require a TOEFL score of 550 or higher, depending on the department.


Q: What can I do if I did not finish high school in my country or had a low GPA (Grade Point Average)?

A: If you are in the United States, you may want to consider preparing for and taking the GED exam (General Equivalency Diploma). If you pass the GED, you are eligible to apply to a two-year college. If your grades improve, then you can transfer to a four-year college.

Document Actions
International English Language Institute website feedback:
695 Park Avenue 1022 East Building New York, New York 10065
(212) 772-4292 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065