fulltime program information:
F-1 Visa Information
The Student Visa (F-1) allows you to register for full-time courses in a college, university or language school. A full-time course in an American college or university generally consists of four classes that total 12 credits (units) a semester. In a language school, a full-time course is determined by the number of hours you take per week. For example, a full-time course at the IELI consists of 18 hours per week.
To apply for the F-1 in order to become a student at the IELI, you must:
- Have a passport with an expiration date of more than 6 months in the future.
- Apply for the I-20 form and register for the semester you want to attend.
- Contact the American Embassy and request an appointment for the F-1.
- Prepare for a possible interview with an embassy official about your visa request.
- Show the embassy official proof that you can pay for your educational and living expenses in the U.S.
If your F-1 application is approved, you will be permitted to travel to the U.S. on a student visa.
If your F-1 visa is denied, ask the embassy official to give you a copy of his/her written decision so that you can read and understand the reason(s) for the denial. Contact the IELI International Student Advisor if you need any help or advice. You may email your questions to email@example.com.