Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


F-1 Visa Information

Apply for the F-1 Student Visa only if you intend to become a full-time student in the United States.

The Student Visa (F-1) allows you to register for full-time courses in a college, university or language school. A full-time course in an American college or university generally consists of four classes that total 12 credits (units) a semester. In a language school, a full-time course is determined by the number of hours you take per week. For example, a full-time course at the IELI consists of 18 hours per week.


You cannot register for part-time courses if you have F-1 status.

To apply for the F-1 in order to become a student at the IELI, you must:

  • Have a passport with an expiration date of more than 6 months in the future.
  • Apply for the I-20 form and register for the semester you want to attend.
  • Contact the American Embassy and request an appointment for the F-1.
  • Prepare for a possible interview with an embassy official about your visa request.
  • Show the embassy official proof that you can pay for your educational and living expenses in the U.S.

If your F-1 application is approved, you will be permitted to travel to the U.S. on a student visa.


If your F-1 visa is denied, ask the embassy official to give you a copy of his/her written decision so that you can read and understand the reason(s) for the denial. Contact the IELI International Student Advisor if you need any help or advice. You may email your questions to



Transferring to the IELI

To transfer to the IELI, you must follow the steps below. For quick answers to your questions, please read our Immigration FAQs.

  • Complete the Transfer I-20 application and sign it.
  • Provide the school with proof of financial support from your sponsor.
  • Pay the application and tuition fee ($2,235.00).
  • Get permission to transfer from your previous school.

Click here to download a Transfer I-20 Application Packet.
(Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader may be required to view the application.)


Click here for more information on transferring to the IELIScroll down to the 'Transfer Student Information' section.
Document Actions
International English Language Institute website feedback:
695 Park Avenue 1022 East Building New York, New York 10065
(212) 772-4292 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065