Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home International English Language Institute IELI International Student Office/F-1 Visa Information J-1 Visas and Visa Waviers (W/T)

J-1 Visas and Visa Waviers (W/T)

J-1 and W/T visas are also available to eligible applicants who want to pursue their educational or career goals in the U.S.


The Exchange Visitor/Scholar Visa (J-1) allows you to travel to the United States to study or teach in an American university as part of an international cultural exchange program. You can also come to the U.S. on a J-1 to perform work as an 'au pair'. You should not apply for the J-1 if you would like to become a full-time student in an American college or English language school. However, you are permitted to take any of our part-time or full-time programs as you continue to maintain your J-1 visa status, as that is your primary responsibility.


It is possible to change your J-1 visa status to an F-1 (student) visa in the U.S. However, there are some restrictions. If you would like more information about changing visa status, we recommend that you come to speak with the IELI International Student Advisor. You can also email your questions to



The Visa Waiver Program (W/T) allows you to travel to the United States without a visa for a short period of time. Your visit may be for pleasure or to conduct business. During your short visit to the U.S., you may use some of your free time to practice English by taking a part-time course at the IELI if it does not interfere with your other activities.


It is not possible to extend or change your W/T in the U.S. The maximum time you are allowed to remain in the country with a W/T is 90 days. If you have additional questions about the W/T, you can email

Document Actions
International English Language Institute website feedback:
695 Park Avenue 1022 East Building New York, New York 10065
(212) 772-4292 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065