Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home International English Language Institute Become an IELI Student How to Become an IELI Student - Step 3

How to Become an IELI Student - Step 3

Step one: Choose a Program

Step two: Get Your Visa

Step three: Come to New York

Step four: Register for Classes


Finding Us

The IELI is conveniently located on the upper east side of Manhattan on 68th Street and Lexington Avenue. It is easily accessible by subway or bus service. Our main office is in the Hunter College East Building, 10th Floor. Click here for specific travel information. You can also call the IELI office and ask for directions at (212) 772-4290 or (212) 772-4208.

Distance From Airport to the IELI:
Most international flights to New York arrive either through John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) or Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey (EWR). If you are coming to New York from another state in the U.S., your arrival airport may also be LaGuardia (LGA). We recommend that you check the name of the airport listed on your plane ticket so that you know the approximate distance from the IELI. 

John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK)     approximately 18 miles (35 minutes)
LaGuardia Airport (LGA)             approximately 11 miles (20 minutes)
Newark Liberty  Airport (EWR)    approximately 17 miles (30 minutes)

Cost ($) of a Taxi Ride:
The cost of a taxi ride from the airport to your destination depends on the car service you use. Very often, taxi drivers from different car companies go directly to the airport baggage claim area to look for passengers. Be very careful and selective when you choose your taxi ride. For your information, official New York City taxis are yellow and have medallion shields on the hoods (top).

NYC yellow taxis also: 

  • have cost information listed on the car door.
  • can only charge a maximum of $45 from JFK to any part of Manhattan, plus the bridge tolls.
  • charge $15 to $30 from LGA to Manhattan.
  • charge $60 to $75 from EWR to Manhattan, plus the bridge tolls and surcharge.

Note: A 15% to 20% tip for the driver is recommended.

Using a Taxi Service at the Airport:

  • Go to the "yellow" taxi waiting area outside the terminal.
  • Ask the taxi attendant how much your trip will cost.
  • If possible, write down the name or license number of your taxi driver. 
  • Get a receipt from the driver and keep it for your records.   

 Click here for more information on NYC yellow taxi fares.

Using Airport Pick-Up Service:
The YMCA International Arrivals Program is an airport pick up service that you can also use to get to your destination. Using this program, a YMCA staff person will

  • meet you at the airport and help you with Immigration procedures.
  • help you buy or exchange currency (money).
  • take you to the location of your apartment or student dormitory.
  • direct you to the Hunter College, IELI campus.
  • make reservations for you at a hotel or YMCA for the night, if necessary.

For other transportation options visit the website of your arrival airport:

Back to Top


Reporting to the IELI

All F-1 applicants who have been admitted to the IELI will receive an I-20 form with a school reporting date. This date is approximately 1 month before classes begin. During this period, you must come to the IELI to:

  • activate your student record
  • take the placement test
  • register for classes
  • attend an orientation for new students

If you do not report to the International Student Office within 30 days after your arrival in the U.S., your immigration student record at the IELI will be terminated. As a result, you will lose your student visa status. Follow the steps below if you have received an I-20 form from the IELI.

  • Check the school reporting date listed on your I-20 in item #5.
  • Try to complete the embassy visa requirements before your school reporting date.
  • Contact the IELI immediately if you need a different school reporting date.
  • Report to the International Student Office one or two days after you arrive in the U.S. 

 Back to Top



The IELI does not have student dormitories or a housing service. Students are, therefore, advised to make living arrangements before they come to the United States. If you need a temporary place to stay when you arrive in New York, we recommend you visit the websites below for housing information. This list is being provided to students for informational purposes only. The IELI is not responsible for inspecting or monitoring the conditions of these student residences.

Sara's New York Homestay: Housing and apartments for students and visitors  

New York Accommodations Center: Homestay in New York

 Back to Top



Health insurance is not a requirement for admission to the IELI. However, if you intend to remain in the U.S. for more than six months, we strongly recommend that you apply for health insurance. If you already have a health insurance plan in your country, make sure that it will cover your medical expenses during your stay in the U.S. For your information, below are the names of two health insurance programs for international students.

HTH Worldwide Worldwide Insurance Services
12000 Federal Systems Park Drive, Suite 2A
Fairfax, VA 22033, USA
Tel: (800) 242-4178
Fax: (toll-free) (888) 617-7447

International Student Insurance (ISI)
67 Coddington Street Suite 201
Quincy, MA 02169, USA
Free Phone: 877 328 1565
Fax: 617 328 0615

Back to Top

Document Actions
International English Language Institute website feedback:
695 Park Avenue 1022 East Building New York, New York 10065
(212) 772-4292 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065