Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home International English Language Institute Become An IELI Student Student Visa Information

Student Visa Information

Apply for the F-1 Student Visa only if you intend to become a full-time student in the United States.

The Student Visa (F-1) allows you to register for full-time courses in a college, university or language school. A full-time course in an American college or university generally consists of four classes that total 12 credits (units) a semester. In a language school, a full-time course is determined by the number of hours you take per week. For example, a full-time course at the IELI consists of 18 hours per week.


You cannot register for part-time courses if you have F-1 status.

To apply for an I-20 for your F-1 Student Visa or to transfer to the IELI:

If your F-1 application is approved, you will be permitted to travel to the U.S. on a student visa.


If your F-1 visa is denied, ask the embassy official to give you a copy of his/her written decision so that you can read and understand the reason(s) for the denial. Contact the IELI International Student Advisor if you need any help or advice. You may email your questions to


Document Actions
International English Language Institute website feedback:
695 Park Avenue 1022 East Building New York, New York 10065
(212) 772-4292 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065