Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home International English Language Institute F1 student Visa Change of Status

Change of Status

People who are currently in the U.S. on a B1/B2 visitor visa, J-1, or another type of non-immigrant visa and would like to change their status to F-1 student status while they are in the U.S.

In order to receive a change of status requested I-20, you must prepare several documents for your admission. The following must be submitted:

1. Complete the IELI Online I-20 Application (full payment for the first semester must be included)

2. Original Financial Documents – Your bank statement in English with a minimum balance of $22,500 in the account (can be emailed in PDF)

** If someone else is your financial sponsor (can be emailed in PDF)

  • Sponsor’s Bank Statement in English with a minimum balance of $22,500
  • Affidavit of Support Form
  • Proof of income (Pay stub, W2, Job letter, Income Tax Return, etc..)

3. Letter from the lawyer (claiming responsibility for change of status case)

4. Copy of the Current Visa

5. Copy of the I-94 arrival stamp

6. Complete Payment of $25 Domestic Express Mail Fee (If Applicable)

7. Any other immigration documents the individual may have received from the government regarding their status (If Applicable) 

For more information, please read our I-20 instructions

** Change of status requested I-20 will be issued in 1 week after the international student office receives a complete application.


Contact the IELI International Student Advisor if you have any questions. You may email your questions to

Document Actions
International English Language Institute website feedback:
695 Park Avenue 1022 East Building New York, New York 10065
(212) 772-4292 | email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065