The Hunter College Instructional Computing and Information Technology (ICIT) is staffed by a team of dedicated professionals responsible for academic and administrative computing, networks and telecommunications, and customer service. ICIT’s mission is to provide quality technology solutions to Hunter College’s students, faculty and staff in support of teaching and learning, research, and administration.
ICIT staff support many users:
- Approximately 21,000 Hunter College undergraduate and graduate students
- 2,500 faculty and staff from all five Hunter College campuses
ICIT has many responsibilities:
- Develops and manages administrative applications and services
- Provides email, file storage, web development, software distribution, and printer accounting
- Manages more than 3,000 telephone lines, PBX, voicemail, and VOIP
- Provides audio/visual classroom equipment, presentation assistance, and media production
- Offers video conferencing centers and interactive video broadcasting
- Manages public computer labs, public access terminals (PACs), printers, vending machines, and servers
- Supports hardware, software, networking and applications for faculty, students and staff, including the help desk, local IT contacts, clinics, consultants and on-line information
- Provides academic computing support for web tools, assistance for course web page development (using Blackboard), access to server resources and training for select software and technology
- Fee-based printing and photocopying services in the libraries, dormitories and public computing areas
- OneCard for Hunter College identification, access, printer and copier charging, book purchasing, laundry, money-saving dining plan and more...
Develops the strategic and tactical direction, as well as the budget, for the Hunter College ICIT department.
Classroom Technology Services (CTS) provides Hunter faculty, staff, and student clubs assistance with all their audio/visual equipment needs. CTS includes two other groups:
- Public Computing Services: Manages the computer labs, accepts faculty reservations for PCS Labs.
- Interactive Video Technologies: Supports Hunter faculty and staff in the planning and delivery of webcasts as well as ISDN or IP based videoconferencing.
IT Architecture, Operations and Security includes three groups: Infrastructure, Systems & Web Development, and IT Support Services.
- Infrastructure: Maintains all communications infrastructure at Hunter, including all wired and wireless network connections and telephone systems and stations.
- Systems & Web Development: Implements and manages the centralized servers and web services.
- IT Support Services: Provides Academic and Administrative IT Support.
The IT Planning and Projects group is involved in planning and project management for the department. It assists in the creation, maintenance and support of strategies, policies, tools, and procedures needed to enhance the planning and project management services.
Management Information System (MIS) provides information that is needed to manage the college efficiently and effectively. This group evaluates, designs, develops, implements, manages, and utilizes systems to generate information to analyze and facilitate strategic and operational activities in the organization.
The Electronic/Web Communications Group works with the Office of Communications and ICIT to oversee the content and visual identity of Hunter’s web CMS websites. In addition, this group helps users establish new webCMS accounts, offers information architecture and content development services to Hunter College administrative and academic departments.
Technology Teaching & Learning offers faculty guidance and support for implementing technology into the classroom in innovative ways.
The Technology Resource Center offers technology workshops and one-on-one assistance with Hunter-supported technologies for faculty, staff and students.