Filer is a centralized file sharing service provided by ICIT to departments to replace Novell Netware file shares
Before attempting to access a file share within Filer, you may need to register your NetID with NetID Central, if you haven't already.
"Filer" is a centralized file sharing service provided by ICIT to departments to replace Novell Netware file shares. Starting in late 2009, ICIT is transitioning users of Novell file shares, and the data in those file shares, to the Filer service. Users access files stored in Filer via desktop computers on the Hunter network, and data is secured via the . Each file share within Filer is restricted to people in the Workgroup that is associated with that file share (see Workgroup Organizer for information on workgroups at Hunter).
In order to get a file share within Filer:
- you must have a Hunter NetID
- you must have Hunter staff or faculty affiliation
- the data must be for a departmental purpose, not for personal use
- the data to be stored will fit comfortably within a 10 GB storage limit
If you and your prospective data meet those requirements, you can request a file share via Workgroup Organizer. Visit http://icit.hunter.cuny.edu/wgorg if you are already familiar with Workgroup Organizer. If you're not familiar with Workgroup Organizer, please read the documentation here.
If your department or colleague already has a file share within Filer, contact a person holding the "staffer" role for that workgroup and request to be added to the workgroup associated with that share. Anyone already in that workgroup can find out who the staffers are in Workgroup Organizer. If your department or colleague doesn't know how to find the staffers for a workgroup, refer them to Viewing Memberships within the Workgroup Organizer documentation.
Before attempting to access a file share within Filer, you need to register your NetID with NetID Central, if you haven't already. Once you've registered with NetID Central, your NetID will be enabled for the Filer service.
If you are in the workgroup associated with a Filer share, you can access that Filer share by typing in the following address in Windows Explorer:
- \\filer.hunter.cuny.edu\share name (where "share name" is the short name of the workgroup)
- e.g. for the Filer share associated with the "icit-dept" workgroup, you would visit \\filer.hunter.cuny.edu\icit-dept
- you will access your Filer share with your Hunter NetID, prefixed with "HUNTER\" (without the quotes)
- e.g. if your NetID were "az142", you would login as HUNTER\az142
You may want to save your password for the share, when prompted. If you save your password, you won't have to type it each time you access the file share. Remember, if you change your NetID password, you'll have to update the password you saved here to your new NetID password.
To make sure you can easily access the file share in the future, you should create a shortcut on your desktop:
- Right click an empty area on your desktop
- Select New -> Shortcut from the menu
- Type the location of the share, i.e. \\filer.hunter.cuny.edu\share name
- Click the Next button
- Enter your username (NetID), prefixed with HUNTER\ (e.g. HUNTER\az142 )
- Enter your NetID password
- Click the Finish button
If you are in the workgroup associated with a Filer share, you can access that Filer share via Finder's menu "Go -> Connect to server":
- In the "Server Address:" field, type in smb://filer.hunter.cuny.edu/share name (where "share name" is the short name of the workgroup, e.g. smb://filer.hunter.cuny.edu/icit-dept )
- Click on the "Connect" button
- For the "Connect as:" field, select "Registered User"
- For the "Name:" field, type in your NetID, prefixed with HUNTER\ (e.g. HUNTER\az142 )
- For the "Password:" field, type in your NetID password
- You may want to select "Remember this password in my keychain" if you don't want to be prompted for your NetID and password each time you connect
- Click on the "Connect" button