ICIT offers a number of ways to borrow laptops at Hunter College.
- Hunter students can borrow laptops in all of Hunter's libraries
- Faculty can borrow laptops from Classroom Technology Service to use for teaching
- Mobile carts of 20 laptops are available to use as a mobile lab from the Technology Resource Center
There are laptop computers available on loan to students for use inside the library. Each laptop is installed with Hunter's standard suite of programs. In addition, there is wireless access available on all floors of the Main Library, at the Health Sciences Library, and in the Library at the School of Social Work.
Printing with OneCard is available after logging into the wireless network.
In order to borrow a laptop, you must fit the criteria and follow these rules:
- You must be a current Hunter College Student with no blocks on your record.
- You must have a current validated Hunter Student ID, as well as a photo ID such as a driver's license, passport or State ID.
- You must read, understand and sign the Liability Agreement Form. (link)
- Laptops are loaned for a maximum of 3 hours, within the library (only) and may not be renewed.
- You may not reserve a laptop for a specific time.
- A student may borrow only one laptop at a time.
- Laptops must be returned to the Reserve desk and checked in with a library staff member who will verify that the computer is in working order before the borrower leaves the desk. You must allow at least 15 minutes for this.
- Laptops may be borrowed up to 1 hour before closing.
- All laptops must be returned 30 minutes before the Reserve desk closes. (See Library hours)
- Overdue fines are $40 per hour and $10 per 15 minute period or any portion of the 15 minute period. (For example, if you are 33 minutes late in returning a laptop, your fine will be $30.)
- No programs, documents, etc., may be left on the computer. Everything, except for the preloaded programs, will be deleted when the machine is returned.
- Borrowers are responsible for the computer. If a machine is lost or stolen, the student is responsible for the replacement cost of $2000. If a laptop is damaged during the use, the borrower is responsible for the cost of repairs.
There are over 80 laptops available on loan to faculty who are teaching in Hunter's enhanced classrooms. These include Dell and Apple Macintosh brand laptops. The loans may run for the entire semester or may be hour-by-hour.
All faculty teaching in Hunter classrooms, including adjunct faculty, are eligible. Alternately, departments may borrow these laptops for use by their instructors. The use of these laptops is limited to college instructional activity. Unfortunately, due to demand, these laptops are not available to take to conferences and meetings or for administrative work.
Each laptop computer comes with a carrying case, video and audio cable, network cable, and has the standard software set installed (including Microsoft Office.) Additional Hunter-owned software may be loaded with the assistance of the ICIT Faculty/Staff Help Desk.
The laptops may be checked out from the ICIT Clasroom Technology office in Hunter North 333, from the ICIT Faculty/Staff Helpdesk Thomas Hunter 4th Floor, or from the Health Professions Education Center on Hunter's Brookdale campus.
More information is available from the ICIT Faculty Staff Help Desk.
ICIT's Technology Resource Center (TRC) has 2 mobile carts available for use in classes, meetings, and conferences throughout Hunter's 68th Street campus:
- Cart 1 is equipped with 15 MacBook laptops
- Cart 2 is equipped with 15 Dell laptops.
This complete solution brings technology to your students conveniently, giving them easy access to powerful mobile computers and Internet resources. Whether you are an administrator who wants to schedule a meeting, an instructor who wants to use computers in the classroom or a researcher who wants to host a conference, it would be to your advantage to consider using this important source. Moreover, instead of students wasting precious time moving from classroom to lab to use the latest technology, they can have the lab come to them!
Technical support is provided by the Technology Resource Center staff, who will configure and manage the hardware, install necessary software and take care of the setup. If need be, we will even provide assistance during your event. We invite you to take a full advantage of this exciting technology!
Use of the mobile laptop cart can be obtained by calling the Technology Resource Center at (212) 650-3358. If you wish to avail yourself of this opportunity, we ask that you follow these guidelines:
- Call the Technology Resource Center to use the cart at least 2 days prior to your event. Requests can also be made in person at the Technology Resource Center (TRC), room Thomas Hunter 401
- Limit your software installation requests to Hunter-supported software only. We will install the software needed for your event. Since we cannot anticipate all software needs, we ask that you limit your installation requests to Hunter supported software only
- Be sure to list any special hardware you will use with the Lab
- Bring special hardware to the Technical Resource Center at least 3 to 5 business days before the event