1. Always use strong passwords
- Stronger passwords are harder to guess therefore increasing security
- Don’t leave passwords on post-it-notes
- Change passwords regularly
2. "Lock it when you Leave it"
- Your work may contain sensitive information and it is your responsibility to keep it safe, especially in a shared workspace. Lock your computer and mobile device screen or log off if you are stepping away.
- Never leave sensitive information open, unattended and/or unprotected.
3. Protect confidential information
- Never provide student information to anyone besides that student; this includes when posting grades, returning papers or talking to parents. Student education records are covered by FERPA.
- Encrypt confidential information before transferring it to another person or device.
4. Back up critical files
- Always make a copy of critical files so you won't suffer a catastrophic data loss. Make sure the copy is kept in a secure location.
5. Avoid being cracked or jacked
- Encrypt your portable devices.
- Don't attatch devices to unknown networks or computers.
- Avoid using open networks.