Protect My Portable Devices
Safeguarding Portable Devices
1. Lock your Device - Use a PIN or a password
- Configure your device to automatically lock after a period of time.
- Create strong passwords so no one can guess it.
2. Only Install Applications (Apps) from trusted sources
- Download from trusted app stores and stick with the popular apps.
- Research the app, read reviews and ratings before you download and install.
- It may also be beneficial to install a mobile security app.
4. Keep your devices with you at all times
- Portable devices are portable, one of the biggest threats is loss or theft. So, make sure you are aware of your devices while you are out. Don't set it down somewhere and walk away, most likely it will not be there when you return!
4. Back up your files
- Don't keep the only copy of your files on your portable device. Make sure your data is backed up in more than one secure location.
5. Always log out
- Log out of work, banking and shopping sites. Avoid texting or emailing personal information.
Protecting Specific Mobile Platforms
iOS (iPhones and iPads)
Phone security suggestions are provided in the PC Magazine article: Smartphone Security Measures. If you store passwords on your phone, protect them in a password vault. For a lost or stolen iPhone, Apple provides Find My iPhone.
Lookout is available from the Android market and provides antivirus and remote wipe features (this feature must be set up before the phone is lost). If you store passwords on your phone, protect them in a password vault.
BlackBerry phones provide many built-in tools to help you be secure. The BlackBerry website provides great suggestions for protecting your Blackberry. For a lost or stolen BlackBerry, simply log in to the BlackBerry protect website and lock your device.
Reset Protection is a free service on account.microsoft.com that provides an extra layer of protection so that if your phone ends up in the wrong hands, it can't be easily reset or reused. Microsoft also provides great tips on Windows mobile security by vistiting Microsoft website. Also Lookout security software is available for Windows Mobile and provides antivirus and remote wipe (this feature must be set up before the phone is lost) features.
For any device you may use, make sure you research the availabe apps for added security and pick the one that best fits your needs.