Document Actions

Graduate Program FAQs

Notice: This item is marked as outdated.

Note: Please check the Hunter College Graduate Admissions web page for the most up-to-date information.

Read an exciting new brochure from the Association of Colleges of Nursing about graduate nursing education:

1. Do you have a BSN/MSN bridge program?

If you are admitted into our RN Pathway program and have a high GPA, you may qualify for accelerated admission into the Graduate program. Please see Dr. Keepnews (Director of the Graduate Program - for specifics before registering for RN Pathway courses.


2. If I have a master's in another field, can I use those credits toward a master's in nursing?

A BSN is required for admission into the graduate nursing program. If you have a master's in a non-nursing area and have a BSN, some credits may be transferred.


3. What is the procedure for transferring credits?

After you are admitted into the graduate program, you should plan on meeting with either your Specialization Coordinator or Dr. Keepnews to evaluate your request to transfer credits from another accredited master's program. Up to 12 credits may be transferred. The procedure for transfer of required courses is that you: a) present the course outline for the course that you want transferred to the Hunter nursing faculty who is teaching the course that you think is equivalent; b) the course faculty makes a written determination of equivalence; c) you bring the written determination to either your Specialization Coordinator or Dr. Keepnews; d) a transfer of credit form is completed with the name of the equivalent required course. If you are interested in transferring elective courses, connect directly with Dr. Nokes since the procedure is easier.


4. If I took a graduate-level course as part of my undergraduate nursing education, can the course be counted towards my master's degree?

This depends upon whether that graduate course was used to fill the requirements for the undergraduate program. NYS regulations do not allow one course to be counted towards fulfilling the requirements for two degrees.


5. How long is your master's program?

Most students study part-time and take an average of 3.5 years to complete the program. Hunter College does allow you 5 years to complete the degree. Courses are offered in the late afternoon and early evening - usually 4 to 6 PM and 6 to 8 PM. We try to arrange the schedule so that you only have to come to school one day/week - at least in the beginning of your course of study. Clinical hours vary by curriculum of study but range from 500 to 735 hours and are a component of your specialization courses.


6. Do you have a nursing administration program?

Yes. This is a dual-degree program offered through Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing and Baruch College. You must complete both the Master's in Nursing Administration and the Master's in Public Administration. Baruch admission requirements include the GRE exam. You will need to take Baruch courses through the e-permit system; if you register for Baruch courses directly, they will not show up on your transcript unless you transfer the credits.


7. Will I be closed out of a course that I need?

We will make every accommodation to support you as you progress through the program, but you must register and pay for the courses in a timely fashion. If you register and then fail to pay for the course, you will be automatically dropped and when you attempt to register, that course might be closed. There may be some semesters in which you will have to come to campus more than one day/week.


8. What do I do if I try to register for a course and I am blocked?

If the registration period is open (and it opens and closes - please check the Hunter College schedule), then email either your specialization coordinator or Dr. Keepnews to indicate that there is a problem. Do not wait or go to 68th Street to try to address the problem. We will investigate and tell you the nature of the problem and try to solve it or direct you to the appropriate person. 


9. Can I be placed in clinical settings of my choice?

Clinical placements are in agencies throughout the greater NY area. We can only place students in agencies with active contracts. That contract list is available to you and we have more than 150 active contracts. Express your preference to the Specialization Coordinator early in your course of study since it takes at least one year to negotiate a contract. The course faculty will determine if the placement and preceptor meets the objective of the specific clinical course. Do not contact preceptors or agencies directly. All placements must be made through the Clinical Coordinator. Each agency has specific requirements. You will probably be asked to present your health forms. We cannot release that data but we must keep a copy of it so plan on making a few copies of the required information.


10. Are there special requirements before I start clinical courses?

Yes. You must complete a health form; present proof of malpractice insurance and health insurance; CPR, compliance with HIPPA requirements; and acknowledge that the agency might require a criminal background check. All forms are outside the door of the Graduate Admissions office on the 5th floor (room 508) and can also be emailed to you by Ms. Brown, the Administrative Assistant for the Graduate Program (


11. Do the above forms have to be completed more than once?

All forms are valid for one year; since your clinical courses will take place over 3 semesters, plan on getting the information updated at least once.


12. Do you have summer courses in nursing? What hours and days are your classes?

We offer electives courses over the summer. Courses are scheduled two days/week - either Monday/Wednesday OR Tuesday/Thursday, 4:00-7:00 pm or 5:00-8:00 pm during Summer Session I.


13. Do you have parking availability?

There is no parking provided by the school. NYC parking garages are plentiful in the area but expensive.


14. What if I want to take a course as a non-matriculated student?

It is better to apply to a curricula track and be accepted for a number of reasons. For the ANP and GNP/ANP track, we have more applicants than vacancies and so we will not accept you if your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 irrespective of your performance on graduate courses. Also, in order to ensure enough spaces for matriculated students and keep course size to a reasonable limit, non-matriculated students will only be able to register for one course/semester.


15. How do we know if we are accepted into the program once we apply?

Formal letters are sent by Graduate Admissions. We review applications about one month after the deadline for application. To illustrate, if the deadline is November 1st, we will review applications by the second week of December. If you are unclear whether you were accepted or about an identified condition for admission such as undergraduate statistics, feel free to email the Graduate Director ( You will receive written notification and an additional letter from the School of Nursing with registration procedures. We strongly suggest that you meet with the Graduate Director and/or Specialization Coordinator every semester to ensure that your program of study meets your needs and the educational requirements. Often, you will need permission to register for a course and that permission can only be inputted by the Director of the Graduate Program or Specialization Coordinator. Advisement hours are posted approximately three weeks before registration periods. We will also communicate with you via email using your Hunter email and/or the email that you have given us. Faculty also keep weekly advisement hours that are posted but appointments are usually a good idea.


16. What are the requirements for getting into the graduate program? 

NYS nursing license, BSN degree, GPA of 3.0 and above, and for NP curriculum tracks, clinical experience is preferred. If your undergraduate GPA is under 3.0 AND you aren't interested in either the ANP or GNP/ANP curriculum tracks, we may invite you to study as a non-matriculated student for up to 12 credits and then apply for matriculation if your graduate GPA is above 3.0. You also need an undergraduate statistics course which you can take at any accredited university including online courses.


17. What if I want to transfer from one curriculum track such as Adult Health CNS to Adult NP?

You must go on applyyourself and complete another application and pay a fee. If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, you will not be accepted into the ANP and/or GNP/ANP curriculum tracks irrespective of your performance on the graduate courses. Also, please connect with your Specialization Coordinator to alert him/her that you are interested in changing tracks.


18. Is there a dual degree program other than in nursing administration?

Yes. There is also a dual-degree program in community/public health. However, the community/public health nursing program can be completed alone for 42 credits and the dual degree requires 57 credits. Urban Public Health also requires the GRE for admission.


19. Do I have to take the GRE for admission into the nursing program?

You have to take the GRE for either of the dual degree programs - Nursing Administration/Masters in Public Administration or if you choose Community/Public Health Nursing/Urban Public Health.


20. Can the Graduate Admissions application be downloaded?

No. You must apply online on the Graduate Admissions website.


21. Do I have to take the TOEFL exam?

Yes. If you have completed your BSN degree outside of the United States, you are considered an international student and have to complete the TOEFL exam and achieve a specific score. Results must be submitted to Graduate Admissions.  Please check the Graduate Admissions website for more details.


22. Can I take an Independent Study course?

Yes, if you have worked out a plan with a specific nursing faculty and have consulted with your Specialization Coordinator.


23.  Are there policies about withdrawing from a course?

Yes. Please consult the Graduate Catalog, but you must complete a form to formally withdraw by a certain date or the grade will be recorded as a WU which turns into a F.


24. What if I am accepted and want to defer admission to another semester?

You must contact Graduate Admissions.


25. Upon graduation, can I be certified in my specialty area?

All of the graduate curricula tracks prepare you to sit for certification in your specific area. We will assist you in completing the necessary paperwork.


26. Do you have a question not listed on this page?

Email David Keepnews at


Thank you for your interest in our graduate nursing program.