Our workshops will include how to:
- Execute New York State (NYS) and federal policies for (LEP)/English language learners (ELLs).
- Teach English Language Arts and Native Language Arts to ELLs and use" A Resource Guide for All Teachers" to help practitioners teach ESL.
- Implement a Two-Way Bilingual Education Program (where students learn English and another language in language arts and the content areas).
- Administer and score the NYS English as a Second Language Achievement Test (NYSESLAT) to place and determine the English language proficiency levels of the students. Training will also be provided so that practitioners can collect data and use it to guide and improve instruction.
- Provide professional development to enhance the abilities of bilingual and ESL teachers so that they can help their students to meet the NYS Learning Standards in core subjects, ESL and NLA.
- Understand Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) indicators according to federal Title I and Title III requirements, including how to help ELL students meet achievement objectives and the NYS Learning Standards.
- Improve the performance of Students with Interrupted Formal Education (SIFE) including helping to develop programs and providing staff development for practitioners who work with SIFE students.
- Organize Teacher Institutes to provide information about policies and initiatives of the New York State Education Department and address the most current statewide issues regarding bilingual education.
- Prepare Title III and CR Part 154 consolidated applications of Districts in Manhattan and Staten Island to ensure the approval of the district plans.