Financial Aid / Award Check Distribution
The Bursar's Office is responsible for distributing all awards paid against a student's eSIMS account that exceed the amount of the tuition and fee bill.
The office distributes funds and awards for:
- College Work Study
- Perkins Loans
- Direct Loans
Students can choose to receive their federal financial aid in the following three (3) ways:
|Method of Disbursement ||Enrolling ||Activation Time
||Instant if other options are not chosen|
||2 - 3 weeks after enrollment
|2 - 3 weeks after enrollment|
All students will receive a check in the mail to their address on file unless they choose to enroll in either the CUNY Scholar Support Card program or the direct deposit program. All students who have checks on hold will be contacted by the Office of Financial Aid. Once the student receives a release from the Office of Financial Aid, the form should be dropped off at the Bursar's Office for processing. Students will be contacted and asked to pick up their check in person.
If you do not receive your financial aid disbursement check within three (3) weeks of its disbursement, please complete a You can complete this form in person at the Bursar's Office or mail it along with a copy of your photo ID. .
Financial Aid checks that are reissued by the University's Central Student Financial Aid Office take 8-10 weeks to be reissued. This is not a Hunter College process, but a CUNY process. In order to avoid this issue, consider using either of the other two payment methods.
Students can choose to receive federal financial aid payments directly deposited into their personal bank account.
It's SAFE, FREE and FAST and your funds are available in your bank account on the disbursement date. If you need to change any information on your direct deposit form or unenroll, please visit the Financial Aid Processing Center (FAPC), Room 238 North or call them at (212) 772-5017.
Students are encouraged to complete CUNY's direct deposit form to obtain their financial aid safer, faster and more conveniently.
Note: This form is NOT available for refunds or other funds that are not paid through CUNY's Student Financial Aid System.
Examples of aid that CAN be paid via direct deposit:
- Direct Loans
- Perkins Loans
- Plus Loans
- Pell Award
- SEOG Award
- Hecht Scholarship
Examples of aid that CANNOT be paid via direct deposit:
- Alternative Loans
- Emergency Loans
- Scholarships (Only the Hecht scholarship can be paid by Direct Deposit)
- Third-Party Payments
- Miscellaneous Grants
Students can choose to receive federal financial aid payments, including federal work-study payments, on a prepaid MasterCard that can be used anywhere other prepaid or debit cards with a MasterCard logo are accepted. This includes the grocery store, gas station, bookstore, etc. Students can by visiting .
Benefits of the CUNY Scholar Support Card:
- Immediate funds availability
- Can be used to purchase anything where a Mastercard is accepted
- Withdraw cash for FREE at any Citibank ATM, including the one on campus outside the One Stop for Students
- No check cashing fees
- No bank account needed
- Online card balance verification and purchase history
CUNY Scholar Support Card Information:
- The card is prepaid and loaded by CUNY only
- The card IS NOT a credit card
- Card customer service: 1-866-326-8689 or email
CUNY Scholar Support Card Fees:
- $5.95 replacement card (the first lost card is replaced for free)
- $15.00 expedited replacement card (based on the student's request)
- $1.50/month inactivity fee is the card is not used for a consecutive 12-month period (does not begin until the first 12 months has expired)
- $1.50 per cash withdrawal from a domestic (USA) ATM outside the Citibank network (the other bank may charge additional ATM fees also)
- $2.50 per cash withdrawal from a international (outside USA) ATM outside the Citibank network (the other bank may charge additional ATM fees also)
- $1.00 decline fee for all purchases using the card that are declined for insufficient funds -->know your balance by checking it on the phone, online or at a local Citibank ATM for free!
- Alternative Loan
- Program Stipends (SEEK, Honors College, etc.)
- Internal/External Scholarships
- Third-Party Benefits/Awards
- 529 Payments/Employer Payments
Students who receive non-federal financial aid in excess of their tuition and fee cost will receive a check from Hunter College. Direct Deposit or the CUNY Scholar Support Card is NOT available for these types of payments. If you have a credit on your eSIMS account and you have not received your award funds, please contact the office at (212) 772-4326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not receive your non-federal aid/award check within three (3) weeks of its disbursement, please complete a . You can complete this form in person at the Bursar's Office or mail it along with a copy of your photo ID. Checks are generally reissued within 1-2 weeks providing that the College does not have limited hours due to the holidays.