Refunds for dropped classes are issued within 4-6 weeks after the final drop of 25% refund period.
- Students who drop a portion or all of their classes online through CUNYfirst prior to the first official day of classes receive a 100% refund of all tuition and fees, excluding non-refundable application fees.
- Students who drop a class online through CUNYfirst during the first three (3) weeks of classes may be eligible for a partial refund. If the student is paying a full-time rate and they are still enrolled full-time after the drop, no refund is due.
Once the term begins, refunds are issued when:
- The College eliminates a class. (However, if the student is paying a full-time rate and they are still enrolled full-time after the drop, no refund is due.)
- Other funds are paid to a student's account after liability is set at the end of the third week of classes and all tuition and fee charges are paid in full.
Refunds are NOT issued for official withdrawals (W grades), unofficial withdrawals (WU, WN grades), no-credits (NC grades) and failing grades (F grades).
Refunds are automatically applied towards any outstanding tuition balance except for FA exceptions described later.
Methods of Processing Refunds:
- Students who pay with cash, check, or money order are issued a Hunter College refund check that is mailed to the student's address on file. If you need to update your address, please complete the
- Students who pay online using an EFT will receive a refund to the bank account used to make the payment.
- Within the Financial Aid year, students who are due a Direct Deposit or CUNY Scholar Card if they have enrolled, or a Hunter College check depending upon the timing of the refund payment based upon the Hunter College .
In general, Federal Student Aid (FSA) funds may only be used to pay for the student’s cost for the period for which the funds are provided. However, a school may use current-year funds to satisfy prior award year charges for tuition and fees, room, or board (and with permission, educationally related charges) for a total of not more than $200.00. A school may not pay prior-year charges in excess of $200.00.
in excess of their tuition and fee balance will receive either a CUNY Financial Aid check,
- Students who are due a refund for funds (awards/scholarships/etc.) paid to a student's account in excess of their tuition and fee balance will receive a Hunter College refund check that is mailed to the student's address on file. If you need to update your address, please complete the .
If you do not receive your refund check:
- Contact the office so we can research the disbursement. You may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Come into the office or mail us a (processed 3 or more weeks after the check is issued).
- Once the stop payment request is submitted, checks are generally re-issued within 2-3 weeks.
- Verify your address at the One Stop for Students (Formerly the OASIS), Room 217 North.