The Direct Loan Application Process: Step 3 Completing the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Students who are borrowing for the first time through the Federal Direct Loan for subsidized and unsubsidized loans, the Undergraduate Plus Loan Program and the Graduate Plus Loan Program must complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note in order to receive their Direct Loan funds. Once you complete the MPN, you will not have to complete another MPN for the duration of your Hunter College education.
What To Have On Hand When Completing the Electronic MPN online:
- An FSA ID*
- Your social security number
- Permanent address and telephone number to complete references
- Driver license number (if applicable)
* To complete the Electronic MPN on the Web, you'll need to use your FSA ID (As of May 10, 2015, the Federal PIN was replaced by the FSA ID). If you do not already have an FSA ID, you should apply for one immediately at www.fsaid.ed.gov. It takes approximately 1-3 days for your FSA ID information to be confirmed with the social security administration. Once your FSA ID has been verified, you will receive an email notification from the U.S. Department of Education.
How to complete the Electronic MPN:
Before completing the MPN online at www.studentloans.gov, it is extremely important to review the What You Need and What to Expect sections of the Web site to be sure that you have a compatible browser and the correct settings for Adobe Acrobat Reader.
We encourage you to complete the MPN online at www.studentloans.gov in order to receive your Direct Loan funds in a timely manner. When you complete the MPN online, you will receive a confirmation number, verifying that the federal government (the lender) has received and accepted your MPN instantaneously. If you request that a paper copy of the MPN be sent to you for completion, there are more steps involved in approving and disbursing your Direct Loan, possibly causing delays in receiving your funds.
How do I request a Federal Direct Loan at Hunter College?
- Undergraduate and Graduate degree students must submit a Direct Loan Application. Proceed to
Do I have to wait until my loan request is approved, and a Direct Loan is originated by the Office of Financial Aid at Hunter College, before completing my Electronic MPN?
No. You can complete the Electronic MPN as soon as you decide that you want to borrow a Federal Direct Loan. The most common delay in the delivery of Federal Direct Loan funds is not signing the MPN on time. Completing the Electronic MPN early will help prevent a delay in the delivery of your loan funds.