Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Onestop Finances Financial Aid Additional Information

Additional Information

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

The Student Financial Aid: Model Code of Conduct

Financial Aid Certification Tracking System (FACTS)

Entrance Counseling

Completing the Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Exit Counseling

Federal Loan Consolidation

Alternative Loans

Selective Service

How Does Withdrawal Affect My Financial Aid?


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

You need to make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving federal and state financial aid.  You have to make good enough grades and complete enough credits to keep moving towards completing your degree in a time period that's acceptable by Hunter College.

Click on the links below to view SAP requirements for federal financial aid programs and New York State financial aid programs:

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Federal Financial Aid Programs

Satisfactory Academic Progress for New York State Financial Aid Programs

[Back to top]


The Student Financial Aid: Model Code of Conduct

  • The provisions of this Model Code of Conduct apply to all employees of CUNY or of any of its constituent colleges or units.
  • Conflicts of interest between the responsibilities of employees involved in student financial aid and such employees' relationships with lenders are strictly prohibited.
  • For purposes of this Model Code, a lender is defined as (i) any entity that itself or through an affiliate engages in the business of making loans to students, parents, or others in order to finance higher education expenses or to securitize such loans; (ii) any entity, or association, that guarantees such loans; or (iii) any industry, trade, or professional association that receives money from any such entity.
  • No employee may accept a gift from a lender. A gift is defined as any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, loan or other item having a monetary value of more than a nominal amount. It includes a gift of services, transportation, lodging, or meals, whether provided in kind, by purchase of a ticket, payment in advance, or reimbursement after the expense has been incurred.
  • No employee may accept any compensation of any kind or reimbursement of expenses for serving as a member of a lender's advisory board.
  • Neither CUNY nor any of its colleges may accept anything of value from a lender in exchange for any advantage or consideration provided to the lender related to its education loan activity. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, a ban on (i) revenue sharing by a lender with CUNY or a college; (ii) acceptance of computer hardware for which below market value is paid; and (iii) acceptance of printing costs or services. Revenue sharing means an arrangement whereby a lender pays a higher education institution a percentage of the principal of each loan directed toward the lender from a borrower at the institution.
  • Neither CUNY nor any of its colleges may use preferred lenders. Preferred lenders include either lenders with which CUNY or a CUNY college enters into a formal agreement or lenders that CUNY or a CUNY college informally recommends to students. Therefore, CUNY employees may neither adopt preferred lender lists nor, more informally, recommend particular lenders to students seeking advice on alternative loan providers.
  • Neither CUNY nor any of its colleges shall link or otherwise direct potential borrowers to any electronic Master Promissory Notes or other loan agreements in an electronic format that incorporates any preferred lender list or similar device into the electronic medium, including any drop-down menus of possible lenders for the student to select. Instead, students must be presented with the opportunity to enter the lender code or name for any lender offering the relevant loan.
  • If CUNY ever enters the "School as Lender" program as permitted under federal law, it may not treat School as Lender loans any differently than if the loans originated directly from another lender. The School as Lender program allows higher education institutions to function directly as a lender to its students.
  • Neither CUNY nor any of its colleges shall enter into agreements with lenders to provide "opportunity loans." Opportunity loans are loans provided up to a specified amount to students with poor or no credit history, or international students, whom the lender claims would otherwise not be eligible for the lender's alternative loan program. Opportunity loans may not be in the borrower's best interest because of the high interest rate on the loans.
  • No employee or agent of a lender may staff a CUNY or college financial aid office. Neither CUNY nor any of its colleges may identify an employee or agent of a lender as an employee or agent of CUNY or one of its colleges.

[Back to top]


Financial Aid Certification Tracking System (FACTS)

How to check if you are TAP eligible (using the CUNY Portal):
→           Go to
→           On the right hand side under “Welcome to CUNY” Click on “Portal Log In”
→           Log on by entering your Username and Password
→           Towards the left look for the “APPLICATIONS / RESOURCES” box
→           Click on “Financial Aid Certification Tracking System”
→           Select “Current Eligibility” to view “Summary” and “Details”

If you are unable to view your FACTS profile and audit please make sure the “My Profile” account has Hunter College listed as your home school, or you may contact the Student Help Desk at 212-650-3624 or for additional assistance.

The information contained in the FACTS online tool is used to determine your eligibility for selected state aid financial aid programs. It is not the official certification but an attempt to reflect what may be your official eligibility. All official information is stored in the College’s CUNYfirst system.

You must have applied and been approved to officially receive state financial aid award (s) - TAP, APTS and/or HESC scholarships and have met the requirements in your FACTS audit to be considered for selected state aid financial aid programs.

To learn more about the FACTS online tool please click on the link below for additional information and instructions:
Use FACTS to check TAP eligibility


Entrance Counseling

First time borrowers who want to apply for a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan at Hunter College must complete an Entrance Counseling session.

The entrance counseling requirement for the Federal Direct Loan program needs to be completed just once while in attendance at Hunter College; therefore, students who borrow in subsequent years need not repeat the entrance counseling requirement.

At Hunter College, students may complete the entrance counseling requirement online. Students should read all information provided on the entrance counseling web site before proceeding to take the online quiz. The quiz is intended to measure your comprehension of the entrance counseling materials so that you have a clear understanding of the loan and subsequent repayment process.

The Office of Financial Aid must have proof that a student has completed the entrance counseling requirement before the student's loan request can be submitted for processing.

The Direct Loan Entrance Counseling Session can be found off-site at:

Important: When you get to the section of the Entrance Counseling Session that asks for Selected Schools, you must type in Hunter College to proceed. Once you have successfully completed the Entrance Counseling Session, you can then submit your loan application. The Office of Financial Aid will process your loan request within 20 business days. [Back to top]


Completing the Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Students who are borrowing for the first time through the Federal Direct Loan for subsidized and unsubsidized loans, the Undergraduate Plus Loan Program and the Graduate Plus Loan Program must complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note in order to receive their Direct Loan funds. Once you complete the MPN, you will not have to complete another MPN for the duration of your Hunter College education.

What To Have On Hand When Completing the Electronic MPN online:

  • An FSA ID*
  • Your social security number
  • Permanent address and telephone number to complete references
  • Driver license number (if applicable)

* To complete the Electronic MPN on the Web, you'll need to use your FSA ID (As of May 10, 2015, the Federal PIN was replaced by the FSA ID). If you do not already have an FSA ID, you should apply for one immediately at  It takes approximately 1-3 days for your FSA ID information to be confirmed with the social security administration.  Once your FSA ID has been verified, you will receive an email notification from the U.S. Department of Education.

How to complete the Electronic MPN:

Before completing the MPN online at, it is extremely important to review the What You Need and What to Expect sections of the Web site to be sure that you have a compatible browser and the correct settings for Adobe Acrobat Reader.

We encourage you to complete the MPN online at in order to receive your Direct Loan funds in a timely manner. When you complete the MPN online, you will receive a confirmation number, verifying that the federal government (the lender) has received and accepted your MPN instantaneously. If you request that a paper copy of the MPN be sent to you for completion, there are more steps involved in approving and disbursing your Direct Loan, possibly causing delays in receiving your funds.

How do I request a Federal Direct Loan at Hunter College?

Do I have to wait until my loan request is approved, and a Direct Loan is originated by the Office of Financial Aid at Hunter College, before completing my Electronic MPN?

No.  You can complete the Electronic MPN as soon as you decide that you want to borrow a Federal Direct Loan. The most common delay in the delivery of Federal Direct Loan funds is not signing the MPN on time. Completing the Electronic MPN early will help prevent a delay in the delivery of your loan funds. [Back to top]


Exit Counseling

All students who have borrowed loans and are no longer enrolled in Hunter College must go through the Exit Counseling process in order to update their record. This process is mandatory for all students who have:

  • Graduated
  • Stopped attending Hunter College
  • Registered for less than six (6) credits
  • Filed a Degree Audit application for graduation

You may complete the Exit Counseling requirement online at: WWW.STUDENTLOANS.GOV

[Back to top]


Federal Loan Consolidation

A Direct Loan Consolidation allows you to combine one or more of your federal education loans into a new loan that offers several advantages. Loans eligible for consolidation include Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Stafford Loans, Guaranteed Student Loans, and Federal Direct Loans. If a Direct Consolidation Loan offers you a lower rate than your current loans, you may want to consolidate.

Lower Interest Rate For In-School and In-Grace Consolidation
If you consolidate while in school or during your grace period, you may receive a lower interest rate. In-school consolidations can save you money, but are only offered via a Direct Consolidation Loan.

One Lender and One Monthly Payment
With only one lender to deal with and one monthly bill, you will find it easier than ever to manage your debt. The Department of Education will always be your sole lender.

Flexible Repayment Options
Direct Consolidation Loans provide four convenient and hassle-free ways to repay your loans, including an income-contingent repayment plan. These flexible plans are designed to meet the different and changing needs of borrowers. With a Direct Consolidation Loan, you can switch your repayment plan at any time.

No Minimum or Maximum Loan Amounts or Fees
Direct Consolidation Loans do not exclude anyone based on the size of their loan debt! In addition, the consolidation service is FREE.

Retention of Subsidy Benefits
Borrowers retain the subsidy benefits of the subsidized loans that are consolidated.

To learn more about Direct Loan Consolidation:
Call toll-free: 1-800-557-7392,
Or call the toll-free TDD number: 1-800-557-7395,
Or visit the federal government's loan consolidation web site at

Federal Student Loan Consolidation
If you want to consolidate your federal education loans through a lender other than the Direct Loan Program, please visit for more information.

[Back to top]


Alternative Loans

Alternative loans are credit-based and are private education loans. These loans are considered “private” and, therefore, the student must apply and be approved through the private organization. If approved, the college will review the application and ensure the amount approved fits within the Cost of Attendance.

Alternative loans are used at Hunter College by students and their families when:

  • the student is not eligible for a Federal Direct Loan because they do not meet the federal eligibility requirements
  • the student is enrolled in a non-degree or certificate program
  • the student is receiving the maximum Federal Direct Loan allowed for the loan period but still needs additional funds to meet the cost of attendance
  • the student needs to borrow funds for a previous academic year and it is too late to borrow a Federal Direct Loan

Students and parents who are eligible for Federal Direct Loan funds should always borrow through the Federal Direct Loan program before turning to alternative loans to finance the student's education at Hunter College.

Alternative loan costs vary widely between programs. All private lenders will review the borrower's credit history and some will require a loan co-signer. The Office of Financial Aid at Hunter College does not endorse or recommend any particular alternative loan program or any particular private lender. Students and their families should carefully consider the interest rates, loan fees, and terms of the alternative loan program before deciding on a private lender.

Some alternative loan programs have restrictions regarding the minimum number of credits for which the student must enroll, as well as the requirement that the student must be matriculated (enrolled in a degree program).

[Back to top]


Selective Service

As of July 1, 1993, any student who fails to register for Selective Service will be ineligible for federal student aid, according to the Military Service Act (Public Law 97-252). 


The Selective Service is an independent agency within the Executive Branch of the Federal Government, and is not affiliated with the Department of Defense. The Director of Selective Service is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate.

The Selective Service agency operates under the Military Selective Service Act, and their mission is to provide the numbers of men needed by the Armed Forces, within the time required, should Congress and the President decide to return to a draft. Selective Service would also be responsible for administering a program of alternative service for conscientious objectors.


Registration is the process of providing the Selective Service with your name, address, phone number, and other related information. It is a civic and legal responsibility. Although there is currently no draft in effect, men are required to register with Selective Service as soon as they reach the age of 18.

Registering with Selective Service does not mean that you are joining the military.

Registration provides our country with a means to develop and maintain an accurate list of men who might be called upon if a return to the draft is authorized. Failure to register, or otherwise comply with the Military Selective Service Act is, upon conviction, punishable by a fine of up to $250,000, imprisonment for up to five years, or both. In addition, federal and certain state laws require registration as a prerequisite for obtaining student financial aid, job training, government employment, and U.S. naturalization.


With few exceptions, all male United States citizens and male aliens residing in the U.S. and its territories must register within the period starting 30 days before, and ending 30 days after, their 18th birthday. Specifically,

  • Parolees, refugees, and applicants for asylum are considered to be residents of the U.S. and therefore must register.
  • Handicapped men who are able to function in public, with or without assistance, must register. A friend or relative may help a handicapped man complete the registration form if he is unable to do so himself.
  • Members of the National Guard and Reserve Forces, not on full-time active duty, must register.

Men cannot register after reaching the age of 26.


The law exempts certain persons from the requirement to register:

    • Females.
    • Lawfully admitted non-immigrant aliens (such as those men on visitor or student visas and members of diplomatic or trade missions and their families) because they are residing in this country temporarily.
    • Men who are unable to register due to circumstances beyond their control, such as being hospitalized, institutionalized, or incarcerated. However, they must register within 30 days following their release.
    • Members of the Armed Forces on full-time active duty. This exemption also applies to cadets and midshipmen at the United States service academies. However, upon release from active duty, a man must register within 30 days if he is not yet 26 years of age and has not already registered.


If you are required to register, you may do so online at

Alternatively, you may register at your local U.S. Post Office. Pick up a registration form at the post office, complete and sign it, and hand it to a postal clerk. The clerk must check your form against some sort of personal identification card, such as a driver's license, so please have one available. The postal clerk will not give you a receipt; however, you should receive a registration acknowledgment in the mail from Selective Service within 90 days.

Please understand that postal clerks and office staff are not thoroughly familiar with the details of Selective Service operations and procedures. They are only required to help you fill out the registration form. If you need additional information, please contact Selective Service.

If you are a U.S. citizen living or visiting overseas at the time you are required to register, you may go to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consular office where personnel will assist you with registering.


You are not officially registered until your registration information is entered into the Selective Service registration file and you have been assigned a Selective Service number. You will then receive in the mail a registration acknowledgment showing the information recorded in your registration file, your Selective Service number, and a change form. If any of the information on your registration acknowledgment is incorrect, it is important that you correct it and mail the change form back to Selective Service as soon as possible. You should keep the registration acknowledgment in a safe place as proof of your registration.

If you do not receive your registration acknowledgment within 90 days of completing the registration form, it is important that you write to the following address or call the below number.

Registration Information Office
Selective Service System
Data Management Center
P.O. Box 94638
Palatine, IL 60094-4638
Phone: 847-688-6888 or Toll-Free: 1-888-655-1825 or TTY: 847-688-2567

When contacting Selective Service, please provide your full name, date of birth, Social Security Number, mailing address, and if possible, the date and place where you completed your registration form.


The law requires that you keep the information in your registration record up to date. It is important that you notify Selective Service each time you move or if there is any other change to your personal information.

This applies only to men ages 18 through 25. After you reach the age of 26, there is no requirement to update your registration record.

If you fail to maintain current information in your registration record, you may be in violation of the Military Selective Service Act and subject to the penalties discussed.


The law requires that you notify Selective Service each time you have a change of address.

To notify Selective Service, you may use the change form provided on the bottom half of your Registration Acknowledgment, or you may use a Selective Change of information Form (SSS Form 2), which can be obtained at any U.S. Post Office, U.S. Embassy or Consular Office.

Alternatively, you can notify Selective Service of any change by letter. If you choose not to use a form, please be sure to include your full name, Social Security Number, Selective Service Number, and date of birth, as well as your new mailing address.


The fact that all men ages 18 - 25 are required to register does not mean that there will be a draft. No one has been drafted into the U.S. Military since 1973. At this time, no one can be ordered for induction by Selective Service unless Congress and the President determine that inductions are necessary. This would most likely only occur in the event of a war or national emergency.


Category YES NO

All male U.S. citizens born after December 31, 1959, who are 18 but not yet 26 years old, except as noted below.


Members of the Armed Forces on active duty (active duty for training does not constitute "active duty" for registration purposes)


Cadets and Midshipmen at Service Academies or Coast Guard Academy


Cadets at the Merchant Marine Academy


Students in Officer Procurement Programs at The Citadel, North Georgia College, Norwich University, and Virginia Military Institute


National Guardsmen and Reservists not on active duty


Delayed Entry Program enlistees


ROTC students


Separates from Active Military Service, separated for any reason before age 26


Men rejected for enlistment for any reason before age 26


Civil Air Patrol Members


Aliens  **
Lawful non-immigrants on visas (e.g., diplomatic and consular personnel and families, foreign students, tourists with unexpired Forms I-94, I-95A, or Border Crossing Documents I-185, I-186, I-1586, or I-444) 


Permanent resident aliens


Special (seasonal) agricultural worked (I-688)


Special agricultural workers (I-688A)


Refugee, parolee, and asylee aliens


Undocumented (illegal) aliens


Dual national U.S. citizens


Incarcerated, or hospitalized or institutionalized for medical reasons


Handicapped physically or mentally
Able to function in public with or without assistance


Continually confined to a residence, hospital, or institution


* Must register within 30 days of release unless already age 26, or already registered when released, or unless exempt during entire period age 18 through 25.

** Residents of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands are U.S. citizens. Citizens of American Samoa are nationals and must register when they are habitual residents in The United States. Habitual residence is presumed whenever a national or a citizen of the Republic of the Marshall Islands or the Federated States of Micronesia resides in the United States for more than one year in any status, except as a student or employee of the government of his homeland.

[Back to top]


How does withdrawal affect my financial aid?

Once you register for a course it becomes part of your permanent record. If for any reason you do not attend, you must officially withdraw from the course on-line at your CUNYfirst Account before the term deadline date recorded in the Academic Calendar. Failure to follow this procedure will result in a grade of "WU" which is equivalent to an "F".



PELL - Your Pell award is based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the cost of attendance at Hunter and the number of credits for which you are enrolled. Awards will be adjusted accordingly.

TAP - If you are originally enrolled for 12 credits and change your enrollment status to less than 12 credits after the end of the refund period, you will be eligible for that portion of your TAP which covers your tuition. However, you will have used up one semester of eligibility.

SEEK - You must maintain at least 12 credits to be eligible for SEEK, SEEK students may only drop below full-time with the permission of the SEEK department.

FED DIRECT LOANS - If you drop below 6 credits you may not be entitled to the funds even if you have an outstanding balance owed to the college. With 6 credits or more you are still eligible for the monies, however, you may go into repayment if you have used your grace period. If you are awarded a Direct Loan, you must conduct an Exit Interview.


PELL, SEOG, ACG, SMART GRANTS, & DIRECT LOANS - Federal student aid regulations specify that students "earn" their federal financial aid awards according to the number of days they attend classes each semester. The amount of aid that a student may keep is in direct proportion to the length of time the student attends classes during the semester. The college must determine whether a portion of that student's federal aid must be returned to the U.S. Department of Education or disbursed to the students.

TAP - If you, withdraw you will forfeit your next TAP payment. If you want to enroll next semester, you must pay for your tuition with funds other than TAP. Students may be eligible for a onetime waiver.

SEEK - You will become ineligible for any funds as of the date you withdraw.

Federal Work Study (FWS) - You must stop working the day you withdraw, and will be paid only for the hours worked up to your official withdrawal date.

FED DIRECT LOANS - If you drop below 6 credits you will go into immediate repayment unless you have not used up your grace period. An exit interview is required. If you are awarded a Direct Loan, you must conduct an Exit Interview. [Back to top]

Document Actions
Onestop website feedback: email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065