Applying for a William D. Ford Federal Direct Stafford Loan at Hunter College
The Office of Financial Aid has implemented some new steps to expedite the processing of your Direct Loan. You must have the following on file in order to submit a Direct Loan Application:
- Valid FAFSA for 2015-2016 (cannot be pending)
- Completed Entrance Counseling (if required)
- Must be registered for at least 6 credits
- Completed Master Promissory Note (if required)
- Complete a Direct Stafford Loan
Effective Fall 2016: GRADUATE Degree students will be pre-packaged for the Direct Stafford Loans on CUNYfirst. Students will be able to accept, decrease or decline their award.
The William D. Ford Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program replaced the Federal Stafford Loan Program at CUNY in June 1995, becoming the major source of federal loan funds for students at CUNY. To be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, a student must be:
- A U. S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Enrolled as a matriculated student for at least six (6) credits per semester
- Determined to be eligible for federal aid after completing the FAFSA
Before students can receive Federal Direct Stafford Loan funds, students at Hunter College are required to complete the online Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling, as well as complete a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note. To speed up the loan process, please use your Department of Education issued PIN as an electronic signature on the Master Promissory Note.
Before beginning the loan application process, students should look at the following:
- Stafford Loan Borrowing Limits and Interest Rates
- Graduate Direct Loan CF info (GRADUATE STUDENTS ONLY)
The following steps outline the process of requesting a Federal Direct Loan and receiving loan funds at Hunter College.
| | | | STEP 5