Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Onestop Finances Financial Aid Return to Title IV (R2T4)

Return to Title IV (R2T4)

Federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid to recalculate federal Financial Aid eligibility for students who completely withdraw from their courses during a semester.

The amount of aid that a student earns is in direct proportion to the length of time the student attends classes during the term. If a student completely withdraws from a term and receives official withdrawal grades (W, WD or WA) or unofficial withdrawal grades (WU, WN) a Return of Title IV Aid (R2T4) calculation is required.

Please review the Hunter College Course Withdrawal Policy for more detailed information.


The R2T4 Calculation is used to determine the student’s earned and unearned portions of Title IV Aid. Title IV Aid includes Pell Grant, FSEOG and Federal Direct Loans. The earned and unearned portions of Title IV aid are calculated based on the student’s date of withdrawal.

Students that do not begin attendance in any of the courses registered (WN grades) are only entitled to Direct Loan disbursements issued directly to the student. A prorated schedule determines the amount of federal aid a student has earned while attending Hunter College. For example, a student who withdraws in the second week of the semester has earned less of their federal Financial Aid than a student who withdraws during the fifth week of the semester. Once the 60% point in the semester is reached, a student is considered to have earned 100% of their Title IV aid originally awarded for the term.

Title IV aid funds included as part of the R2T4 calculation are:

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant

As a result of withdrawal, your Hunter College account may reflect a balance. Please review your Bursar student account. Please note, failure to satisfy your delinquent financial obligation will prevent processing of academic transcripts, diplomas, or future registrations. For more information regarding payment options please contact the Bursar Office at 212-772-4401.

Document Actions

Onestop website feedback: email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065