What is an "Apostille" or "Authentication?"
For a description, please visit http://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/apostille.html
Where can I have my documents authenticated for an Apostille?
Documents eligible for authentication may be presented at the One Stop for Students, Room 217 North, during regularly scheduled business hours.
What documents are eligible for an "Apostille" or "Authentication?"
- Original diploma
- A copy of your original diploma (must present original diploma for copies to be made)
- Official transcript (must request a new copy at time of inquiry)
- Certification of Enrollment Letter
How do I obtain an Apostille or Authentication?
- Submit your document(s) to the One Stop for Students
- The Registrar authenticates your document(s) with a statement that the documents are "true and correct." Please make sure you have all original documentation in your possession at the time of your request
- The documents are then notarized on campus by a Notary Public
- You then take the original document(s) to the County Clerk's Office (The County Clerk must reside in the same county of the Notary Public who witnessed your document(s) )
- The document(s) will then be mailed to the New York State Department of State.
- For the County Clerk's Office in your borough and for more information on this process , please visit http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html
Can I mail the documents or do I need to make an appointment?
- So that we can accommodate your requests in a timely manner, we ask that you either mail the documents or drop them off for processing. You may mail your document(s) to:
Hunter College - CUNY
Registrar's Office, Room N217
695 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065
How long does the process take?
- Documents submitted in person can take up to 3-5 business days.
- Documents submitted by mail may take longer. To assist our office in processing your document(s) in a timely manner, you may wish to include a contact number or email address so that we may contact you should any questions arise.
- This process takes a considerable amount of time, especially if the Apostille is being mailed to a foreign country, sometimes as long as a month.
Is there a fee to have my documents authenticated?
- The College does not charge a fee. However, if an official transcript is one of the documents you wish to have authenticated, then you will be required to pay a transcript fee. Please go here for more information on requesting a transcript.
- For other processing fees that are not associated with the College, please visit NYS Department of State at http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html
What if I am out of the country and cannot come in to have my documents authenticated?
You may have someone act on your behalf in having your document(s) authenticated. That person must bring in:
- A written and signed authorization letter from you as the requestor (include in the document your name, documents to be authenticated and contact information)
- A copy of your photo identification
- The person acting as your proxy must also present valid photo identification
How can I check the status of my document(s)
To check the status of your document(s), please call 212-772-4474 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.