Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Onestop Registration Definition of Terms

Definition of Terms

Advisor: An official of the college who assists students in pursuing his/her educational goals. At Hunter, there are two different types of advising resources.

  • Academic Advisor: For undergraduate students, go to Advising Services, East Building, Room 1119.
  • Departmental Advisor: For undergraduate and graduate students, please visit the Hunter College Catalog for a listing of departmental advisors.

Academic Calendar: Provides important dates from the Office of the University Registrar. 

Academic Integrity (Dishonesty): College policy regarding allegations of academic dishonesty. 

Academic Dismissal: If your Hunter GPA falls below the established retention level, you are automatically placed on academic probation. If you do not achieve the minimum GPA during the probationary period, you will be automatically dismissed from the College. You may also visit the Academic Dismissal page for more information.

Add/Drop: During regular periods and the first week of classes, a student may add or drop courses. Please note that if you add/drop during the first week of classes, you will be charged additional fees (Late, Percentage Charges and/or Change of Program fees.) For more information, please view the current Registration/Payment Schedule.

Admissions Office: Provides information on the Admissions process. For more information, please visit the admissions page.

Auditing a Course: All students (except Senior Citizen program) must obtain permission from the respective department before auditing a course. 

  • Step 1) Register for the course online. 
  • Step 2) Seek permission to audit the course from the department/instructor of the course.
  • Step 3) Bring the permission letter to the One Stop, Room 217 North, for manual registration. 

Auditors are required to pay regular tuition and fees. No grades will be given for the course in which you audit. Auditor status may not be changed to credit status after the closing date of late registration. For dates and deadlines, please review the Registration/Payment Schedule.

Block Program: A cluster of introductory level courses that creates an individual community for participants. This program is available to Freshman Students.

Building Codes (rooms):
R: Armory, 67th Street on Park Ave
BC: Brookdale Health Science Center, 425 E. 25th St
CS: Campus School (Hunter High School) 94th St at Park Ave
FA: Master of Fine Arts Bldg, 450 W. 41st St and Dyer Ave (10th Ave) 
GC: Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Ave and 34th St; HE: Hunter East Building on 68th St. and Lexington Ave
HN: Hunter North Building, 695 Park Ave at 68th St 
HW: Hunter West Building, 68th St. and Lexington Ave
RH: Roosevelt House, 47-49 East 65th St 
SB:  Silberman School of Social Work, 2180 3rd Ave. at 119th St., and
       CUNY School of Public Health at Hunter College, 2180 3rd Ave. at 119th St. 
TH: Thomas Hunter Hall, 930 Lexington Ave between 68th and 69th Streets
ZZ:  Room to be determined. Please see your instructor.

Bursar's Office: Provides billing and general financial services. For more information about the bursar's office, please review the billing page.

Change of Program (COP): The process of changing your registration schedule.  You may change the courses you are registered for during the normal registration cycle (without penalty) and the first week of classes (with penalty.) NOTE: You will be charged a COP fee if adjusting your schedule once the semester has officially begun. For more information, please review the current Registration/Payment Schedule.

College Catalog: An easy guide and reference book for students. A hard copy is located at the Welcome Center, Room 100 North. An online Hunter College Catalog is also available.

Co-requisite: An academic course that is required to be taken in conjunction with another course. Please visit your department advisor for further assistance.

Credit Overload: You are required to obtain permission if you would like to register for more than 17.5 credits for the Spring and Fall semesters and 7.5 for each Summer session.  NOTE: Students are limited to 4 credits during the Winter session. Please visit the Dean of Student Services (1119 East) if you are an undergraduate student; if you are a graduate student, go to your Graduate advisor for permission.

Credit/No Credit: Non-letter grades of Credit/No Credit but there are certain restrictions about how and when the student may choose this system. Download the Credit/No Credit (PDF) form for more information.

CUNY Macaulay Honors College: Specialized, competitive Honors program.  For more information, please visit the Macaulay Honors page.

CUNY Portal: A gateway to various applications (Blackboard, eSIMS, etc.) and documents. Please visit the CUNY page for more information.

CUNY Proficiency Exam (CPE): A CUNY exam that is no longer required as of Fall 2010.

Dean's List: At the end of each Fall and Spring semester, the Dean of Students recognizes degree-seeking undergraduate students with excellent academic records of 3.5 or higher. Please visit the Dean's List page for more information.

Degrees: (ADV) Advance Certificate, (BA) Bachelor of Arts, (BFA) Bachelor of Fine Arts, (BMUS) Bachelor of Music, (BS) Bachelor of Science, (MA) Master of Arts (MFA) Master of Fine Arts, (MPH) Master of Public Health, (MS) Master of Science, (MSE) Master of Science in Education, (MSN) Master of Science in Nursing, (MSW) Master of Social Work and (MUP) Master of Urban Planning. These are all programs of study leading to a degree and/or certificate. For additional information, please visit the Hunter College Catalog.

Declaring a MajorA degree-seeking student must declare a major no later than the semester in which the combination of credits earned and credits currently registered totals 60 credits or more. To declare your major, download a Declaration of Major  form.  You must meet with your departmental advisor for further advisement and approval.

Declaring a Minor: A degree-seeking student may declare a minor, in an approved discipline. As of Summer 2009, minors are no longer required for graduation.  To declare your minor, download a Declaration of Minor form.  You must meet with the minor departmental advisor for further advisement and approval.

Degree Audit Unit: A unit within the Office of the Registrar. This unit processes all applications for graduation submitted by the Academic Department or student and officially grants degrees to students. For more information, please review the My Diploma page.

DegreeWorks (formerly DIG): Online, self-advisement tool, accessed via the CUNY Portal, for Undergraduate students to track their graduation progress. For more information, please visit the DegreeWorks webpage.

Department Chair: An official of the college who oversees departmental matters and approvals.

Dual Degrees: A combined undergraduate/graduate program by which students can receive multiple degrees (NOTE: One degree cannot be awarded without the other, thus both degree requirements must be completed at the same time.)  (BA/MA) Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts, (BA/MS) Bachelor of Arts and Master of Science, (BS/MA) Bachelor of Science and Master of Arts, (BS/MS) Bachelor of Science and Master of Science. For more information on declaring a major in a dual degree program, visit your Department Advisor.

Distance Learning courses: A field of education that focuses on teaching methods and technology with the aim of delivering teaching, often on an individual basis, to students who are not physically present in a traditional educational setting such as a classroom. For more information, please call  212-452-7108.

Education (Study) Abroad: Provides Hunter students with the opportunity of studying abroad through a variety of long-term and short-term programs. For more information, please visit Hunter's Education Abroad webpage.

Elective Credits: The number of elective credits you can take varies depending on your degree requirements. Please see your advisor for more information.

Student Email Account (Net ID): A Hunter College email account assigned to students upon admission. New, non-degree students must register for courses in order to be assigned a Hunter email account. If you do not know your Net ID account, go here to look it up. Or you may visit the Student Help Desk's website for more information.

Enrollment Certification: An official document issued by the Registrar's Office which certifies a student's enrollment status. This document may be obtained at the One Stop, North Building, Room 217 or online via the National Student Clearinghouse Student Self Service website

Enrollment PolicyYou may not attend any course for which you are not officially registered. You are not considered officially registered until payment is received. For more information on registering, please visit the registration webpage.  For more information about paying your bill, please visit the billing webpage.

E-permit: A CUNY college student who wishes to take courses at another CUNY college "on permit" may submit a permit electronically (ePermit) via their CUNY Portal account.  Students should not go on ePermit during their last semester at Hunter. For more information, please review the Take a Course Outside Hunter PDF.

eSIMS: This system allows students to register, view his/her transcript, search for open courses and pay his/her tuition bill. This application is accessed via the CUNY Portal.

Exit Interviews: If you were awarded a loan, you must complete an Exit Interview upon graduation. For more information, please visit the Exit Counseling webpage.

Fall semester: An academic term that begins at the end of August and ends in late December. For more information, please review the Academic Calendars.

Final Exam Schedule:  Provides dates on when final exams are given for each semester. For more information, please review the Academic Calendars.

Financial Aid Office:  Designed to assist students that are inquiring about financial assistance. For more information, please visit the Financial Aid section of this website.

Freshman: A classification indicating a student has earned 0 to 30 credits. For more information, please visit Student Services.

Full-Time: An enrollment status, for both Undergraduate and Graduate students consisting of 12 credits or more credits.

General Education Requirements (GER): A set of competencies, knowledge areas, and perspectives in the liberal arts that Hunter considers essential to the intellectual development of its undergraduates. Undergraduates must complete the Core Requirement and three Graduation Requirements (Foreign Language, Writing and Pluralism and Diversity) prior to graduating. For more information, please see and select "Graduation Requirements."

GPA: Grade Point Average is calculated according to grades earned. The Cumulative GPA is determined by the total number of courses completed to date while the Term GPA is the Grade Point Average earned in a given semester/term. To determine your GPA, please review the GPA Calculator.

Grades: Hunter faculty members assign grades according to the traditional system of letter grades (A, B, C, D, and F). Each letter grade has a corresponding weight that is used in calculating the Grade Point Average (GPA). Some other grades assigned are: CR, NC, W, WA, WU, WN, R, IN, FIN, Y, AUD and Z. For more information on these and other grades assigned, grading policy and grading calculations, please review the Current Grading Structure.  

Graduation-in-AbsentiaAlthough Hunter requires that a student's final semester be completed at Hunter, students can obtain this approval to complete remaining coursework elsewhere.  Students who need 15 credits or less to fulfill degree requirements may apply for graduation- in-absentia form if they must leave Hunter before completing their studies. For more information, please go to

Immunization: Public Health Law 2165 requires college students to present a complete record of two live immunizations against measles and a single immunization against mumps and rubella. Students born on or after January 1, 1957, must submit a complete immunization record signed by a health practitioner. You may register for up to 5.9 credits without satisfying your immunization requirements. For more information, visit Health Services, North Building, Room 307, or go here.

Incomplete Grade (IN/INC) A grade issued by an instructor indicating a student has not completed required coursework. Undergraduate students have one semester to complete the course work before the grade becomes a failed incomplete (FIN). Graduate students have one year to complete the course work. For more information, please review the Current Grading Structure.

Junior: A classification indicating a student has earned 61 to 90 credits. For more information, please go to

Late Registration:  A registration period that starts on the first official day of the semester and is associated with additional fees. Please review the Registration and Payment Schedule for more specific information.

Lost & Found: A unit of Public Safety, located in Hunter West Room 213, responsible for holding submitted lost items. For more information, please go to

Maintenance of Matriculation - Only applicable for a matriculated graduate student who is not officially registered for any courses in the semester in which they are graduating, but is completing other degree requirements for graduation. For more information, please review the Maintenance of Matriculation form.

Non-Degree: Students who are not currently seeking a degree but wish to enroll in college credit-bearing courses. Non-degree students are limited to a total of 24 attempted credits. Such students may register for up to 12 credits without taking the CUNY Skills Assessment Tests, unless a placement exam is required for a particular course. For more information regarding the Skills Tests, please see the Testing Center in the North Building, Room 150.

Non-Disclosure PolicyUnder the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) a student has the right to not have any directory information disclosed to a third party without his/her consent. For more information on this policy and for access to the Directory Information Non-Disclosure Form, please review the FERPA webpage.

One Stop for Students: A 'one stop shop' which incorporates the services of the Registrar's Office, the Financial Aid office, and the Bursar's Office. For more information on specific One Stop services, please review the One Stop for Students website.

Office of AccessABILITY: Designed to enhance the educational experience and provide service to all students with permanent or temporary disabilities. For more information, please go to

Office of Health Services: Provides various health care services for Hunter College students. For more information, please go to

Official Withdraw (W): A student has the option of withdrawing from a course with a grade of "W" during a specific period. NOTE: The official deadline date for each semester is found on the College's Academic Calendars.  For more information on college policies, please go to

Ombudsmen:-An official governed by the Senate Office to investigate complaints and grievances by any member of the college community (student, staff, faculty, or administration) about a situation within the college. This person may be reached by email at to schedule an appointment.

Over tally/Permission Override: Permission is required if you are trying to register for a course that is closed, and/or has a restriction that you do not meet. Process varies by department. Please visit the corresponding department of the course you are attempting to register. For a current listing of departments, please view the Office Directory at located under "Quick Links."

Part-time: A student who is registered for less than 12 credits per semester is considered part-time.

Pluralism & Diversity (P&D): This part of the Undergraduate General Education Requirement (GER) consists of designated courses that are in four groups. One course per group is required. NOTE: A course can satisfy only one of these four groups, though it may also satisfy another GER area, minor and/or major requirement.  For more information, please go to and under "Academics" select "Graduation Requirements."

Prelaw advising: For any student interested in exploring legal careers and applying to law school. For more information, please go to

Premedical Profession: The Premedical Advising Office assists students preparing for a career in medicine or other health professions (such as osteopathy, dentistry, optometry, podiatry, veterinary medicine). Interested students should meet with the premedical advisor for further inquiry.  The Premedical Advising Office is located in the East Building, Room 803, and can be reached by telephone at (212) 772-5242.

Pre-requisite: Is a course that must be completed prior to enrolling in another course. For permission to register for a course without the pre-requisite, see the respective department. For a current listing of department contacts, go to the Office Directory at and find it under "Quick Links."

Registration: Students must register for courses on eSIMS via the CUNY Portal. For more information on how to register, please visit the How to Register webpage.

Registrar: The responsibilities of the Office of the Registrar are to maintain accurate academic records, ensure the integrity of the degree, design and implement efficient systems for student registration, class scheduling and room assignments. For more information on the services provided, please visit the Registration section of this website.

Registrar Contact List: Located on the Registrar's website.  Select "Registrar Contact List" to view contact information for Administrative Services, One Stop, Graduation Audit Records & Transcripts and Scheduling.

Registrar Office Hours: Office hours vary by day and holidays. View the standard hours at the OASIS and Registrars hours

Registration & Payment Schedule: Provides important registration dates and deadlines. The current schedules are located on the Registration section of this website.

Registration Appeal: The appeal process for students who need to add classes after the semester registration deadline, for documented and compelling reasons. Please review the Registration Appeal Form.

Registration Appointment: Every student is assigned a specific date/time after which they can begin to register for courses (but not before)... An appointment schedule will be posted on the Registrar's website at the beginning of each semester. The current schedules are located on the Registration section of this website.

Repeating Courses: Undergraduate students shall not be permitted to repeat a course in which they have received a grade of A, B, C, or CR unless that course has been designated as repeatable in the course description of the College catalogue.  Students may repeat a course in which a D was received. The credit for the repeated course will be applied toward the degree once, but both the grade of D and the second grade earned are calculated in the overall grade point average (GPA). If a student receives a failing grade (i.e. F, WU, FIN, or FAB) in a course and then re-takes that course and receives a grade of A, B, C, or CR, the initial failing grade will remain on his/her academic record, but will no longer be computed into the cumulative grade point average.  Please review the Failing Grade Course Repeat Form.

Replace a Course/Schedule adjustment: If you would like to drop a course and replace it with another course, you must use the "replace" option on eSIMS. NOTE: You may replace a course only during specific registration period (for dates, deadlines and special fees, review the current schedules on the registration section of this website.

Residency (NYS): Residency determines the rate of tuition you are responsible for paying. You can qualify for the in-state tuition rate if you are a US citizen or permanent resident and you have maintained continuous residence in New York State for at least 12 consecutive months. Please go to  for more information and forms.

Residency for Degree Requirement: For transfer students, half of your major and minor credits must be completed at Hunter College to meet the residency requirement.

Schedule of Classes: Online listing of course offerings for any given semester. Found on the registration section of this website each semester as both a PDF file and searchable schedule. For more information, please review the Searchable Schedule of Classes.

School of Arts & Sciences: Located in the East Building, Room 812. For more information, please go to

School of Education: Located in the West Building, Room 1000. For more information, please go to

School of Health Professions: Located at the Brookdale Campus (425 East 25th Street). For more information, please go to

School of Nursing (Hunter Bellevue): Located at the Brookdale Campus (425 East 25th Street). For more information, please go to

School of Public Health at Hunter College (CUNY): For more information, please go to

School of Social Work: Located at (129 East79th Street). For more information, please go to

SEEK Program: This program is dedicated to assist educationally and economically disadvantaged students who do not meet the admissions criteria. The SEEK Program provides academic counseling, and a stipend to help with educational expenses. See the Financial Aid section of the College Catalog for additional information on admission requirements for this program or visit our the SEEK webpage for more information.

Semester (term): The academic year is divided into terms of relatively equal periods (Fall, Spring and Summer).  For more information on past or upcoming semester dates, please review the Academic Calendars.

Senior: A classification indicating a student has earned 91-120 credits. For more information, please go to

Senior Citizen Status: New York State residents, 60 years of age or older, may audit undergraduate courses on a space-available basis. Auditors do not receive grades or credit for their courses. Senior Auditors pay a reduced tuition rate each semester for a maximum of 6 credits per semester. Please visit the Admissions Office, North Building, Room 203, for further advisement.

Sophomore: A classification indicating a student has earned 31-60.5 credits. For more information, please go to

Spring Semester: An academic term that begins at the end of January and ends in late May. For more information on past or upcoming semester dates, please review the Academic Calendars.

Summer Semester: Begins at the beginning of June. The summer session consists of two to three  mini-sessions. For more information on past or upcoming semester dates, please review the Academic Calendars.

TAP: The Tuition Assistance Program helps eligible New York residents attending in-state post-secondary institutions pay for tuition. For more information vistit the Financial Aid Office, North Building, Room 241 or visit the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) webpage.

Technology Fee: The Student Technology Fee is dedicated to the acquisition, installation, maintenance, and intelligent use of state-of-the-art technology at Hunter. 

Thomas Hunter Honors Program: Students selected for this program must show evidence of high academic potential and diversified interests to plan and complete an individualized program of study. For more information, please go to

Transcripts: A listing of your College courses (grades, GPA, degree notation) and comments. Please review the Transcript Request webpage for more information.

Transfer: Any student who has attended another college, university and/or proprietary school since graduating from high school or a secondary school. For more information, please go to

Transfer Credit Evaluation: Process by which courses completed elsewhere are reviewed for possible equivalency to Hunter courses for credit. See the Admissions Office in the North Building, Room 203. Or visit their website at

Tuition & Fees: All tuition and fees are determined by the City University of New York (CUNY) Board of Trustees and may be subject to change without notice. For more information, please visit the Tuition and Fees webpage.

Tuition Pay (Payment Plan): This plan offers students the flexibility to make payment towards their tuition through monthly installments. For more information, please visit thePayment Plan webpage.

Unofficial Withdraw (WU) Grades: A punitive grade, assigned by the instructor, in which the student attended class at least once and stopped attending, without officially withdrawing from the course.

Veteran Services: Provides support, resources and information that meet the needs of veterans attending Hunter College. Please visit the Office of Student Services, East Building, Room 1119. For more information, please go to

WA Grades: A non-punitive grade that is assigned when a student has not completed his/her immunization requirements. For more information, please see a Health Services representative  in the North Building, Room 307 or by calling  212-772-4800.

Webattendance: A web-based system which allows faculty to submit attendance reports during the start of the term. All students (even if attendance is optional) must report to classes during the first week of classes. 

Webgrade (faculty only): A web-based system which allows faculty to submit final semester grades.

Webroster (faculty only): A self-service site for faculty and staff to retrieve and print official rosters for his/her course.

Winter Session: Begins at the beginning of January and ends in the 3rd week of January. For more information on past or upcoming semester dates, please review the Academic Calendars.

WN Grades (prior to Fall 2009): A punitive grade assigned if a student did not attend the course.

*WN Grades (as of Fall 2009): A non-punitive grade assigned if a student did not attend the course.

Document Actions
Onestop website feedback: email us
695 Park Ave
NY, NY 10065