Current Major Requirements
Students must meet the following requirements to graduate with a major in political science:
- Complete at least 30 credits in political science;
- Complete at least 3 credits (1 course) in each of the 4 subfields of political science;
- Complete at least 9 credits (3 courses) at the 300- or 400-level;
- Use no more than 6 credits (2 courses) at the 100-level in political science to satisfy major requirements (additional 100-level courses may be used as electives);
- Use no more than 6 credits in internship, independent study, and/or experiential courses (such as Model United Nations) to satisfy the 30 credits in the major. Also, such credits may not be used to satisfy the distribution requirements in the four fields.
Students who declared a political science major before September 1, 2009 remain under the old (24 credit) rules. However, if students re-declare the major (as when declaring a second major or adding a minor), they will fall under the new (30 credit) rules. Students in such a situation may request a waiver from the department to remain under the old rules.